Checking Salinity

fishgirljockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where has this been my whole life?? Has anyone used or have this? When I saw it at the store, I thought… SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!! You place it in the tank wherever you like. I have it on the left side of the glass so you don’t see it. All you do is glance over and it shows you where the salinity is. Saves you from having to either put your hands in the tank or go through using the refractor…not that it’s difficult to do or takes a lot of time but you get what I mean. It’s extremely convenient! I did however still check it a second way until I trusted it. I definitely trust this tool. Its been extremely accurate!! It does take a day or less to work. When you first put it in, it will go all the way to the top. Just leave it and wait. The next day is when it started working. Great tool and highly highly recommend! I got mine from Petco for $14.99

797C9E58-009D-403A-9617-1128418C98C1.jpeg

MarineandReef Jaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used these but stopped when I got tired of the suction cups un-sucking, air bubbles driving the arm up, and algae driving the arm down and clouding the view. They might work very well in a mixing station if you could retrofit a magnet mount.

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used these but stopped when I got tired of the suction cups un-sucking, air bubbles driving the arm up, and algae driving the arm down and clouding the view. They might work very well in a mixing station if you could retrofit a magnet mount.

LOL yeah, something that would work well when new and not dirty ;)

MarineandReef Jaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say that I have been thinking of redoing my mixing station switching from brutes to 2 55-gallon tanks on one of those double stands. I was thinking of getting one of the Hanna Marine Monitors but maybe I should just get a stick on thermometer, an internal hydrometer, and a SeaChem pH badge.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Swing arm hydrometers have a checkered reputation.

I tested several and found this result:

So how do these hydrometers measure up? In my tank the water was measured to be S=35 ± 0.5 by conductivity. Using the Deep Six swing arm hydrometer I got readings of S=32.5 ± 0.5 at 81 °F and S=32 ± 0.5 at 68 °F. Using the SeaTest I got S=34.5 ± 0.5 at 81 °F and S=34 ± 0.5 at 68 °F.

For the standard type Tropic Marin hydrometer, I got a 77 °F/77 °F specific gravity of about 1.0265 ± 0.0003 (Figure 4), which compares well to the expected value of 1.0264.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 8 7.6%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 18 17.1%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 70 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.8%
Back