ChemiClean Questions

TheSaint216

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my tank was running barebottom for almost a year and two months ago I decided to add sand. Everything was ok for the past month and started getting a pretty bad case of Cyano. I do 20% water changes weekly, run gfo and carbon, have plenty of flow. I'm day two into my three day blackout and my new skimmer has been pulling alot out and my filter sock looks like its made of leather. I decided to hit my tank with Chemiclean tonight to help finish off the job, but I have a few Questions for the folks that have experience with it.

Did you leave lights off or lights on for the 48 hour cycle?

Since the Chemiclean is killing both good and bad bacteria did you reintroduce good bacteria after the water change that comes after the 48 hours? If so what did you use?

The box indicated this can be used to maintenance dose on a weekly basis, do people really do this in a smaller dose?

Thanks for your Suggestions.

Budman's Corals

Living the Salt life
View Badges
Reaction score
Heart of Dixie--------------------------Mtgy,Ala
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive used chemiclean to kill my red slime,works great, had to follow instruction that was posted on Dr fosters website,leave skimmer off for 3 days ,add air stone,etc

but after that had to do 25-45 % water change that's it ,Never went black out though

I wouldn't worry bout the cycno on the sand bed it will go away,I believe your having a mini cycle, Was this live sand?

Lazys Coral House

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't kill good and bad bacteria, it only kills cyano. Add lots of oxygen, keep protien skimmer running but don't allow it to collect anything. No need to run lights out.

Lazys Coral House

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take the cup out and put something over it or just let it overflow back in the sump. You can't beat the oxygenation of the skimmer. Chemiclean is an oxidizer and it removes oxygen from the water so adding it back is very important. Those that have issues with the product is because they don't add enough oxygen.

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take the cup out and put something over it or just let it overflow back in the sump. You can't beat the oxygenation of the skimmer. Chemiclean is an oxidizer and it removes oxygen from the water so adding it back is very important. Those that have issues with the product is because they don't add enough oxygen.

Chemiclean does work great. Wish I'd have known about the skimmer idea way back when-lol.

Wrx5803

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chemiclean does work well. I like the original chemiclean better then the redslime version. Both took care of cyano but the skimmer was back on track faster with reg. Chemiclean

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well Cyano is a Bacteria and therefore Chemi-Clean Kills Bacteria so how do you know it Does Not Kill the Beneficial Bacteria in the Tank that Breaks Down Ammonia and Nitrite?

I have used Chemi-Clean Many Times Before With No Problems.

But While using It I Never Feed anything in the Tank for Fear that there would be a Lack of Beneficial Bacteria and Hence Possibly Causing an Ammonia Spike with all the Food that I put in.

But now I feed Fuel and Reef Roids Twice a Week as Recommended.

Has anybody used Reef Roids with Chemi-Clean at the Same Time?

I want to keep using Reef Roids because my Zoanthids Love it but I do not want to Risk an Ammonia Spike.

Any Thoughts on this Matter are Greatly Appreciated.

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well Cyano is a Bacteria and therefore Chemi-Clean Kills Bacteria so how do you know it Does Not Kill the Beneficial Bacteria in the Tank that Breaks Down Ammonia and Nitrite?

I have used Chemi-Clean Many Times Before With No Problems.

But While using It I Never Feed anything in the Tank for Fear that there would be a Lack of Beneficial Bacteria and Hence Possibly Causing an Ammonia Spike with all the Food that I put in.

But now I feed Fuel and Reef Roids Twice a Week as Recommended.

Has anybody used Reef Roids with Chemi-Clean at the Same Time?

I want to keep using Reef Roids because my Zoanthids Love it but I do not want to Risk an Ammonia Spike.

Any Thoughts on this Matter are Greatly Appreciated.

I know this is an old thread and some of these folks may not even be around to reply, but erythromycin will certainly kill many species of bacteria.

It does not appear to mess with the nitrogen cycle in reef tanks, which may be what some people call the good bacteria.

It does seem to be OK in most instances, and not in a few others where organisms are lost. Why isn't clear, but it doesn't seem to be an ammonia issue since it is somewhat selective in what gets harmed. Perhaps a toxin from the dead cyano.

jp_75

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it's an old thread but what do i do after i put Chemiclean in? They say run Carbon. I don't have a Carbon reactor. Do i just do 10-20% water change? Thx

Osteoclast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Run your skimmer during the time the agent/drug in is your system. The skimmer will oxygenate the tank as noted, overflow into the sump. Begin a series of water changes at 24-48 hours. You might need to do 25 % daily for 3-4 days. I would set up good activated carbon. It takes time for your skimmer to return to normal functioning. For me 5-7 days. I have used the product a couple of times and it is effective. Some use it as maintenance. I have not for several years as my system has matured.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it's an old thread but what do i do after i put Chemiclean in? They say run Carbon. I don't have a Carbon reactor. Do i just do 10-20% water change? Thx

I'd use carbon in a media bag in that case. One concern is toxins from dead cyano.

taintstick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just caught a few last posts on this thread.. aren't you supposed to turn off all mechanical filtration and remove all filtration with the exception of filter media?
The skimmer and carbon will not allow the agent to work. I have used product just left pumps running blackout for 2 days then a 50% WC.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just caught a few last posts on this thread.. aren't you supposed to turn off all mechanical filtration and remove all filtration with the exception of filter media?
The skimmer and carbon will not allow the agent to work. I have used product just left pumps running blackout for 2 days then a 50% WC.

I don't agree. Erythromycin won't be skimmed out, and ChemiClean advertising states:

"Continue using protein skimmer, although skimmer may require adjustment to prevent excessive overflow."

Then after it has worked, you are supposed to:

"Turn ON UV Sterilizer, Ozonizer and replace Chemi-pure or carbon removed in Step #2 above"

taintstick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's odd, well I don't use the skimmer just because of that reason, skimmer just goes wild. Maybe it's the older box that has a different procedure...? Maybe maybe not haha I have had my baby 2oz powder for like 3 years more or less...

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my tank was running barebottom for almost a year and two months ago I decided to add sand. Everything was ok for the past month and started getting a pretty bad case of Cyano. I do 20% water changes weekly, run gfo and carbon, have plenty of flow. I'm day two into my three day blackout and my new skimmer has been pulling alot out and my filter sock looks like its made of leather. I decided to hit my tank with Chemiclean tonight to help finish off the job, but I have a few Questions for the folks that have experience with it.

Did you leave lights off or lights on for the 48 hour cycle?

Since the Chemiclean is killing both good and bad bacteria did you reintroduce good bacteria after the water change that comes after the 48 hours? If so what did you use?

The box indicated this can be used to maintenance dose on a weekly basis, do people really do this in a smaller dose?

Thanks for your Suggestions.
I kept my lights at normal schedule.
Did not introduce any new bacteria.
I've never used it for regular maintenance

rygh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't agree. Erythromycin won't be skimmed out, and ChemiClean advertising states:

"Continue using protein skimmer, although skimmer may require adjustment to prevent excessive overflow."

Then after it has worked, you are supposed to:

"Turn ON UV Sterilizer, Ozonizer and replace Chemi-pure or carbon removed in Step #2 above"

So I am confused by the Erythromycin note.

My impression was that Chemiclean (specifically the one from Boyd Enterprises) was an oxidizer, not an antibiotic.
Speculation was it being Potassium Permanganate based. But I don't think anyone has really confirmed that.

Is it actually an antibiotic?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back