Chiller Size Question

ChrisC5150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! I have a 55 gal mixed tank w/ 30 gal sump that I would like to keep between 78-79 deg. It’s already starting to get warm here (86 today) and my tank got up to 85. I have a fan blowing on it now but I’m thinking I probably need a chiller because we set our house A/C to come on at 82 normally.
I’’d appreciate feedback on what size chiller I should buy. Thanks

Outlaw Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy you set your house AC to come on at 82 that’s very hot bro you are going to boil that tank, why so high that’s pretty hot, i keep my temp set at 66 with a ceiling fan running 24/7 365, did you check out BRS, it’s no going to be cheap for you bro i would guess it’s going to run you $750 or more, i keep my tank right below 74 i don’t like to get it up near 78 it’s to warm

Adamc13o3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get a free 1/10 hp chiller. Sizing up a little is always better as the chiller turns on and off less and runs for shorter periods. However, if you have a controller I would first set fans to go on and then the chiller as a backup. I don’t know if your tank is in a room with a separate zoned AC as 82 is pretty hot to have your house temp set to. Are you sure you didn’t mean 72?

klc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, a smaller chiller works better than one that is too large. A smaller chiller cools the water down slower and wont short cycle like a big unit will. A 1/10 Arctica will serve you well for many, many years. I live in Phoenix and didn't like the humidity a fan produced so I use a chiller and love it, I can set the house AC to 80 and not have to worry that the tank will run at 84 lol. I set my chiller to 80 with a 1 degree temp differential.

OP
OP
C

ChrisC5150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get a free 1/10 hp chiller. Sizing up a little is always better as the chiller turns on and off less and runs for shorter periods. However, if you have a controller I would first set fans to go on and then the chiller as a backup. I don’t know if your tank is in a room with a separate zoned AC as 82 is pretty hot to have your house temp set to. Are you sure you didn’t mean 72?
Thanks! How do I go about getting a free 1/10 chiller?

Readywriter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! How do I go about getting a free 1/10 chiller?
You could make a diy chiller out of a minifridge but idk how you'd go about regulating it. At any rate id imagine it would be cheaper to just keep your house at a more civilized temperature.

feelingfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an Jbj arctic 1/3 HP and it can easily keep 350+ gallons down to 78 in a room well above 85 degrees. I don’t really use it much anymore though because I bought a mini split ac for the aquarium room. I hope this helps somewhat.

JBJ Arctica Chiller 1/3 HP (DBM-250​

salinity now

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! I have a 55 gal mixed tank w/ 30 gal sump that I would like to keep between 78-79 deg. It’s already starting to get warm here (86 today) and my tank got up to 85. I have a fan blowing on it now but I’m thinking I probably need a chiller because we set our house A/C to come on at 82 normally.
I’’d appreciate feedback on what size chiller I should buy. Thanks
I just bought a 1/3 hp chiller. Before I left for several days with my A/C set on 77. It got up to 80 and I lost most of my invertebrates. Now it takes about 10 minutes to bring my 75-gallon tank down 1 degree. I'll still have to keep the A/C on but much higher just to keep the excessive chiller exhaust down.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 124 81.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back