Chloroquine Phosphate

Carl Cardarelli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone please advise me on how to use Chloroquine Phosphate correctly I have a 600 gallon salt water tank fish only, I need to know the procedure how long before removing and how much. I really appreciate any advice on this everyone I have talk to in person has given me different scenarios . And no one has used it that I know. Thanks (is it safe for puffers and wrasse)

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone please advise me on how to use Chloroquine Phosphate correctly I have a 600 gallon salt water tank fish only, I need to know the procedure how long before removing and how much. I really appreciate any advice on this everyone I have talk to in person has given me different scenarios . And no one has used it that I know. Thanks (is it safe for puffers and wrasse)
Here is a guide on using cp
It is typically safe for puffers but not wrasse. This may help you also

OP
OP
C

Carl Cardarelli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a guide on using cp
It is typically safe for puffers but not wrasse. This may help you also
Thank you I was told this evening to dose with 30 grams then 3 grams after every day for 9 does this sound right Thanks again I really appreciate it

Cjud7982

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cp has a few different ways of being used. If your planning on using it in your display it may or may not be very effective depending on your filtration, rockwork, substrate, and bio diversity. IDK how inverts handle it either.

Medications such as cp and copper both are primarily used it qt tanks where dosages and concentrations can be very tightly controlled.

The 3 gram amount doesn't make much sense to me because the math on 60mg per gallon that comes out to 36000 mg or 36 grams. Which is A LOT of cp. This is of course assuming your planning on doing your display, which I would highly discourage. Even then if you have a working bio filter it is completely unknown how fast the medication will degrade.

Can you answer questions on why you need to use cp, how many fish, and other reasons for wanting to execute this?

Generally speaking medications aren't made for display tanks, they're meant for hospital and qt tanks. Fish should be treated prior to display to prevent major headaches and poor results from medications.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Carl Cardarelli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cp has a few different ways of being used. If your planning on using it in your display it may or may not be very effective depending on your filtration, rockwork, substrate, and bio diversity. IDK how inverts handle it either.

Medications such as cp and copper both are primarily used it qt tanks where dosages and concentrations can be very tightly controlled.

The 3 gram amount doesn't make much sense to me because the math on 60mg per gallon that comes out to 36000 mg or 36 grams. Which is A LOT of cp. This is of course assuming your planning on doing your display, which I would highly discourage. Even then if you have a working bio filter it is completely unknown how fast the medication will degrade.

Can you answer questions on why you need to use cp, how many fish, and other reasons for wanting to execute this?

Generally speaking medications aren't made for display tanks, they're meant for hospital and qt tanks. Fish should be treated prior to display to prevent major headaches and poor results from medications.
my problem is I have 27 fish in tank and its impossible to QT them in separator tanks or a tank big enough some are 12" big along with to Zebra eels

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CP? I've been assured by the New York Times and Washington Post that this is an excellent fish tank cleaner.

;)

[this was a joke making fun of journalists who are incapable of doing a Google search, rather than a serious recommendation to use this medication to clean any fish tanks]

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have porous rock and what is your filtration? This will greatly reduce the effectiveness of the cp. Also, wrasses do not tolerate this medication well.
What are you trying to treat?

OP
OP
C

Carl Cardarelli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have porous rock and what is your filtration? This will greatly reduce the effectiveness of the cp. Also, wrasses do not tolerate this medication well.
What are you trying to treat?
yes rock I have 8 foot sump with skimmer ,UV light and 3 4" socks and 2 7" socks along with filter pad, I have broadtail, tusk and yellow crisis wrasses

OP
OP
C

Carl Cardarelli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes rock I have 8 foot sump with skimmer ,UV light and 3 4" socks and 2 7" socks along with filter pad, I have broadtail, tusk and yellow crisis wrasses
Thank you I was told this evening to dose with 30 grams 1st day then 3 grams after every day for 9 does this sound right Thanks again I really appreciate it

ArmyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have treated my FOWLR display tank many times with this because I have a Shark and cant use copper. I followed the Guidance below in this link for (an established) bio filter. 40mg per gallon on day 1, and the 4mg per day for 10 days. normally on day 5 I start to see significant results. For a 600 gallon total volume tank you would need to dose 24 grams on day 1, and then 2.4 grams every day for 9 additional days. I dont believe that with all my live rock and sand it keeps it at therapeutic levels but since I cant test for it and it works ill take it. If I did not have the shark in there I would use copper as I can test for it and monitor levels. Hope this helps

Sorry my fish list is.
Dog Face Puffer (8 inches)
Spiny Box puffer (4 inches)
Lion Fish (12 inches)
Tusk (6 inches)
Niger trigger (10 Inches)
Queen Angel (6 inches)
Green Bird wrass (7 inches)

ArmyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have treated my FOWLR display tank many times with this because I have a Shark and cant use copper. I followed the Guidance below in this link for (an established) bio filter. 40mg per gallon on day 1, and the 4mg per day for 10 days. normally on day 5 I start to see significant results. For a 600 gallon total volume tank you would need to dose 24 grams on day 1, and then 2.4 grams every day for 9 additional days. I dont believe that with all my live rock and sand it keeps it at therapeutic levels but since I cant test for it and it works ill take it. If I did not have the shark in there I would use copper as I can test for it and monitor levels. Hope this helps

Sorry my fish list is.
Lion Fish (12 inches)
Tusk (6 inches)
Queen Angel (6 inches)

I leave filter socks in, I turn off all other filtration. I take the top off my skimmer and let it continue to run for aeration purposes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Carl Cardarelli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sorry my fish list is.
Lion Fish (12 inches)
Tusk (6 inches)
Queen Angel (6 inches)

Thank you so much I really appreciate it

OP
OP
C

Carl Cardarelli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much I really appreciate it
Also I have a fluke problem I strongly believe does this kill Fluke I have used Praziquantel powder 5 times in the last couple of months as directed it seems to work but after several weeks its back. I have to dose my DT 600 gallons due to the amount of fish I have and the sizes. If CP doesn't take care of the fluke and Praziquantel powder seems to be or might I say the fluke resilient to the Prazi powder would prazipro do the trick or is there another med out their. Thanks any advice is appreciated!

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 43 38.7%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 58 52.3%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 4 3.6%
Back