Cipro dip

Yanir34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys, what is the recommended dosage for cipro dip ,to few of my LPS ?

xunhe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No one will give you the answer you’re looking for when it comes to cipro, i can’t find many people on here that support the use of it . I do know that it certainly helps with bacterial infections within anemones. I don’t know if it’s different for anemones but a coral cipro dip is generally done in this way:

Dip Initial Mixture : Mix 500mg Cipro in 50ml of RODI water (store in dark container in the refrigerator)

Cipro/Amoxi Dip : Add 10 ml of solution above to 500ml tank water. Dip corals 2-4 hours . Add air stone or sponge filter to maintain oxygen and movement. Move water with turkey baster occasionally.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dipping an antibiotic is likely to have no effect at all. Antibiotic treatments are always done over a period, even with humans.

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a dip, I would try to replicate the KFC dip:

I've dipped before with just cipro using that concentration.

If using cipro or other antibiotics, it is recommended that you bleach all waste water before tossing it to minimize the spread of antibiotic resistant bacteria. Add bleach up to 10% volume and let it sit for at least 30 min.

Take your corals out before adding bleach!!!

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the recommended usage of cipro for nems.

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dipping an antibiotic is likely to have no effect at all. Antibiotic treatments are always done over a period, even with humans.
I'm not entirely sure. Corals and anemones have a mich different "circulatory" system than humans. The anecdotal evidence of BJD prevention and treatment using dips in euphyllia siggests there's a bit we may not know about coral infections and biology in general.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not entirely sure. Corals and anemones have a mich different "circulatory" system than humans. The anecdotal evidence of BJD prevention and treatment using dips in euphyllia siggests there's a bit we may not know about coral infections and biology in general.
I've never heard of others using a dip. Always as a coarse rather than one time event. I could be wrong though, just trying to help.

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never heard of others using a dip. Always as a coarse rather than one time event. I could be wrong though, just trying to help.
Bit of a grey area, I think. There's "prevention" which is what Kung Fu Corals does by dipping all of their euphyllia, which they claim has spared many losses from BJD. And there's "treatment" of an active infection... I've done the in tank cipro treatment for 3 doses two days apart a few times. And one hammer that was just not bouncing back well I pulled and did a KFC-like dip, but this was after a full course of in tank treatment. It survived and no idea if it was the in tank treatment, the dip, or if it would have survived after lopping off the slimy heads anyway.

I agree with your previous link about nem cipro concentrations. There is also this thread with specific cocnetrations for BJD if that's helpful:

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral vendor gave me following instructions

Tank treatment : 500mg cipro per 80-100g water. Dissolve in cup of tank water. Administer 1/5 nightly for 5 nights. Store solution in fridge

Dip: 1 scoop chemi clean in 1 cup tank water. Dip for 30 min then return item to tank

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 182 72.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back