Clam discharging white stringy substance

Kann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I've had this clam for over four years. It recently released from the rock he was on and has been on the sand bed for a couple weeks. Looks like he's digging in deeper and deeper all the time.

Just this morning it started expelling white, stringy "stuff". I'm not sure what else to call it. Any ideas as to what it is expelling and why?

Thank you for your help.

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I've had this clam for over four years. It recently released from the rock he was on and has been on the sand bed for a couple weeks. Looks like he's digging in deeper and deeper all the time.

Just this morning it started expelling white, stringy "stuff". I'm not sure what else to call it. Any ideas as to what it is expelling and why?

Thank you for your help.

Your clam is spawning, usually a sign of stress. What fish and inverts do you have in the aquarium?

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you for your help.

Did your clam make it? Rumored the spawning was stress related and maybe the fall triggered it.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is spawning, that is the sperm coming out, then also eggs. Larger clams release sperm and eggs while smaller clams release just sperms.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 136 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back