Clam Recovery

CodyF.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a young maxima clam, I’ve owned it for maybe 6months or so. I noticed this morning the mantle pulling alway from its shell, but only at the “bottom”. It was next to some firework palys. I’m wondering if those palys could have caused the separation, since they were touching the clam. And will it recover?

It responds to change in lighting/shadowing.

Parameters :
Cal- 420-440
Alk- 9
Mag-1500 (always been this high)
Nitrate- 10ppm
SG-1.026
Phosphate- not readable on Salifert test kit.
Temp- 77.9
PH-8.0-8.2 on average. (Did have a PH dip earlier in the week to 7.96.

I dose kalkwasser as my primary ATO, via dosing pump. When it’s at 8.2 fresh water takes over as ATO.

I feed reef roids twice a week in conjunction with RedSea AB+, which I upped the AB+ this week from 8 mills a week to 20?

1st photo is the separation 2nd is the clam for reference. Sorry I couldn’t get a better shot.

image.jpg image.jpg

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't see anything in the pic, please take a pic in white lighting only. A coral right next to the clam is fine, but it should not touch the mantle, anything touching the mantle will make it retract, but I doubt that pally's were touching it? Better to see in clearer pic, thanks.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
CodyF.

CodyF.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't see anything in the pic, please take a pic in white lighting only. A coral right next to the clam is fine, but it should not touch the mantle, anything touching the mantle will make it retract, but I doubt that pally's were touching it? Better to see in clearer pic, thanks.
I miss spoke when I said palys, they are clove polyps. And yes, they definitely were touching the clams flesh. Which caused that portion to stay retracted for a while…. Don’t exactly know.

When I get home from the day I will try and get a better photo.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
CodyF.

CodyF.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope this is better. This is a with the whites turned up. It’s in an odd position. So the shadowing from the clam isn’t helping my cause…. lol.

I do appreciate the input and willingness to help so far.

Also, don’t remember if I posted this in my original post. But, the clove polyps were touching the clam, so I moved a few things and added a rock. That why it may look like nothing is or can touch it.

Attachments

• IMG_2980.jpeg
    IMG_2980.jpeg
    126.3 KB · Views: 23
Upvote 0

90guzmanj

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do an icp test to see where your iron is at. If your iron levels are good then hopefully with time it’s mantle will recover

Upvote 0
OP
OP
CodyF.

CodyF.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do an icp test to see where your iron is at. If your iron levels are good then hopefully with time it’s mantle will recover
Thanks, I will have to do that. It’s not ripped or anything. Even when you look into its mouth, when open, it seems to be good with no tissue loss. ( a good thing).
It’s not getting worse, another win.

So, I believe it’ll recover. I guess sometimes it just feels good to read it. As we all acquire things in our aquariums to keep alive.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
CodyF.

CodyF.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to get a few more pics. Today it’s was much fuller than yesterday. Maybe these pics are slightly better than my last few.

Attachments

• IMG_2988.jpeg
    IMG_2988.jpeg
    170.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2987.jpeg
    IMG_2987.jpeg
    146.7 KB · Views: 17
Upvote 0

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes its more clear now, you can see it retracting from the pally's. You will need to move either the clam or the coral

Upvote 0
OP
OP
CodyF.

CodyF.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes its more clear now, you can see it retracting from the pally's. You will need to move either the clam or the coral
The clam has been moved from its previous place. All the photos are from the new location, with no other coral rubbing, around it.

It’s still healthy! All I can do is wait. I’m hoping it’ll make a recovery.

Oddly, the angle of the last pictures make it look like the zoas are touching the clam. However, they are not.

Upvote 0

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one over-riding thing I see is the clam not growing. There is no white other than a paper thin line at the edge.
You had it for 6 months and it is not growing meaning it is dying. One morning in the near future you will wake up to an empty shell and will question: “What happens to my HEALTHY clam.”
It is not healthy, even if the mantel is fully extended.
You need to find out why it is not growing and correct this or else it won’t last much longer. IMO, Maxima and Crocea need full spectrum light close to 6000K which is the spectrum of the Sun (5500K) and a lot of it.

Upvote 0

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont see a par level this is one of the most important parameters.

The one over-riding thing I see is the clam not growing. There is no white other than a paper thin line at the edge.
You had it for 6 months and it is not growing meaning it is dying. One morning in the near future you will wake up to an empty shell and will question: “What happens to my HEALTHY clam.”
It is not healthy, even if the mantel is fully extended.
You need to find out why it is not growing and correct this or else it won’t last much longer. IMO, Maxima and Crocea need full spectrum light close to 6000K which is the spectrum of the Sun (5500K) and a lot of it.
That spectrum and par levels in the 300+ range at least.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
CodyF.

CodyF.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the great info, all. I believe PAR is the problem. I do have a Radion G6Pro over a 50Gal WaterBox. But, I run a very blue schedule, 19K in the first half of day & 20k for the remaining time.

I used the Photone app to check PAR, and I’m getting around 100 where the clam is located. I just order a set of ReefBrite XHO. But my reef is mixed, so I may just have to rehome the clam if this doesn’t help it.

I notice what you guys are talking about when you mention the growth.

Upvote 0
Back