Clams light

Daniella19

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello

I’m thinking off adding a clam. Would a maxima clam be ok under ai prime lights?
8FAF6530-9988-41FC-B024-16D68FEEF28C.jpeg

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maximas need a lot of light, it's the most important thing your clam needs. If it's your first clam I'd recommend a derasa or squamosa but if you get a maxima I would place it on a small curved rock so you can move clam to more intense light as needed. Also, buying a healthy clam is very important, I'd suggest looking at Pacific east aquaculture.

Nasir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had them I had 4 on a 110 deep. I have five clams 2 are maximas. It depends on the size. Small one need more food, large ones can live off the light. You can move maximas up in the rocks.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I respectfully disagree. All tridacna need light and no matter the size they can get all their carbon energy from lighting/photosynthesis. Tridacna, no matter the size do not need fed to survive but it doesn't hurt if you choose to feed them. This has been proven by experts in the field in publications.

Nasir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not here to debate with you. I will say I never said they don’t need light. I said they don’t need light along and what is an expert. I consider myself to be an expert. Everyone has different experiences growing clams. What works for me my not work for you. I have grown clams in all different ways. Clams do filter water, that’s the way God made them, so I know they eat food just like they get what they need from the light. My advice to Daniella 19 is to do your research and give your clams the best you can. T5, LEDs, and MH can grow clams.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not here to debate with you. I will say I never said they don’t need light. I said they don’t need light along and what is an expert. I consider myself to be an expert. Everyone has different experiences growing clams. What works for me my not work for you. I have grown clams in all different ways. Clams do filter water, that’s the way God made them, so I know they eat food just like they get what they need from the light. My advice to Daniella 19 is to do your research and give your clams the best you can. T5, LEDs, and MH can grow clams.
Not trying to debate, just difference of opinions. That's what makes this forum so great, it gives members options with others experiences. I too have grown tridacna for many years and consider them to be my favorite reef animal which is why I like to help as much as I can. I think feeding tridacna is fine but I disagree with statements saying small clams need to be fed to survive. Calms do filter feed, they also absorb ammonia/phosphorus through pinocytosing microvillous epidermal cells straight from the water column. This is a reason I recommend tridacna being kept in tanks with a bioload. I dosed phytoplankton regularly for multiple reasons and have nothing against feeding clams or others who advise to do so. We're all on the same team here and everyone's opinions are valuable. Happy reefing.

Nasir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. I don’t feed clams, feed my coral, and fish and because clams filter the water they also eat. Happy Reefing Always

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In your situation I would be sure to place it high up in the rock for maximum amount of light, the reason I say that is I see some corals around the bottom that can survive in lower light - I am guessing you don't have PAR measurements so putting it higher is safer when it comes to intensity.

As DSC stated getting a healthy one is the critical 1st step. You will find we tend to recommend stronger the lighting the better, clams even within species are strongly individualistic in their requirements. Some individuals flat out need more light to survive, however we can't really tell that (it's why you will get the occasional response of a clam doing well under low lighting) so we say give as much as you can.

AI prime are nice lights, if you know PAR I shoot for 200 for maximas. I grew a tiny clam in a 3g jar with no fish with a kessil 160, however it ran 100% about 6" from the clam!

OP
OP
Daniella19

Daniella19

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the replies!
by the way we have a reefer 350 with two prime lights. I was also reading that derasa or squamosa are “easier” But maxima just look better in my opinion.
im in Canada and it’s really hard to find clams here I find :(

KSUChemist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
by the way we have a reefer 350 with two prime lights. I was also reading that derasa or squamosa are “easier” But maxima just look better in my opinion.
2 primes would be hard to say it is enough on that system unless you're running them at full power. Generally a 90W LED for each 24x24" square of the tank is what you want. Primes give about half that light. If you can position a clam higher in the tank almost under the fixture you could probably be ok.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t feed my clams either. I grew Crocea from 1 inch and Maxima from 1.5 inches without have to feed them. I am sure feeding the right food will help them grow quicker but this is not essential. Adequate light is a must along with adequate nutrients , Ca and Alkalinity.
In your situation either increase light or else keep the Maxima in the top 1/2 of the tank under the light it should be OK. Consider Blue Squamosa or Mimosa clams (hybrid ofMaxima and Squamosa). Some of these clams are the best looking clams. Also hybrid on a whole tend to be hardier and tolerate wider environmental conditions.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 250, with two BB, have one of each type, Dersa/Squamossa in the sand, crocea and maxi in the rock work.
Three years no problems. If I put a cloud of pytho over, they will pump and take it in, but not a requirement.

Yup, those maxis got some great color.

Depends in Canada where you are, in GTA Ontario, always clams at Big Als

2C4A6A87-76A7-4E49-BE7C-583792C46AB1.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back