Cleaner Common Wrasse (Labroides dimidiatus) and ich

basile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have a question. Some of my fish have ich sometimes. It come and goes, they don't die, they, like my hyppo is a magnet and gets over it, so i've stopped the quarantine and he's fine. So if my convict tang who don't have any spots but , brushes himself on the sand, clearly trying to get rid of a parasite ich or otherwise.

So adding a Cleaner Common Wrasse (Labroides dimidiatus) would it help with this. i mean would it help them, not necessarely get rid of ich in the tank. Its present and , well i'm stuck with it until i dismantel it. All my fishes are healthy as far as i can tell . They're very fat and active.

016.jpg

013.jpg

The rest are the same;

I feed 12 different dried alges and 32 different live ones. Vitamins every 2 weeks.

Home made food Octopus, baby calamaries, a bag of squids, some calamary tubes, 4 bags of shrimps, one bag of sardines, mysis shrimp, some red plankton, Krill, spirulina brine shrimp, Garlic, selcon vitamins, and spirulina powder. Thank God for the food processors and ziplock bags.

150G softie Reef.

173.jpg

75 G refugium feeding by gravity the 150G reef

569.jpg

i write big for my iphone friends

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do not clean ich itself because when we see ich as a "salt" it is in an encysted state and pretty much invulnerable. However that doesnt necessarily mean a cleaner wrasse wont be a degree of help. Here is how it can be of service:

A cleaner wrasse will "clean up" a fish by eating dead and damaged scales, uneven slime coating, and certain other external parasites. This process will help a fish be less susceptible to free swimming ich parasites. Think of how our own blood clots in a cut. A clean smooth cut from a razor has a more difficult time coagulating because the cut is so smooth and clean it cant "grab" hold as easy. Compared to a small cut that isnt as smooth the blood can "grab" hold and dry easier. The cleaner wrasse provides a smoother, cleaner surface that is more difficult for ich and other parasites to "grab" hold of.

Cleaner wrasses can be more difficult to maintain than many other fish, but having a number of large fish can help, as not all will convert to a diet of prepared foods.

OP
OP
basile

basile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks guys , thats cool info , was just wondering if the cleaner wrasse would of aleviate their discomfort. Thanks.

OP
OP
basile

basile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well after 10 days i can honestly say it was a good thing , adding the wrasse. She has been busy cleaning everyone, from my 2 tangs, to my blenny who she pounded lol like a punching bag and he just sayed there getting his skin cleaned up really funny, even the file fish got his side done and the foxface who was a bit on edge is now calmer, probably got some of his parasite OFF his skin lol.

463.jpg

And she's a pig when it comes to eating flakes, my home made food , she's actually the main carver at the feast check the picture, the guys are all waiting for the surgeon to cut the meat OFF the clip too funny. and they all stay put waitting for their share no argument , verry unusual, i've never seen that before, don't know about you guys. lol.

443.jpg

I write big for my iphone friends

63938_882084685137274_1247587967764705743_n.jpg

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 43 22.9%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 109 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back