Cleaner shrimp in new tank with high nitrites and nitrates?

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone.

I just finished cycling my tank, it a a 15g, and tomorrow I am going to get some fish and inverts for it. My nitrites are 5 at the highest, but I can't really match the color, and I know the nitrates are high, and I use a API test kit, so nitrates are inaccurate on that. Note I will be switching to salifert once I run out. I would like to know if I could pick up a cleaner shrimp tomorrow, or if I can't. I will do a water change before I leave tomorrow, around a 20% change. Please let me know your thoughts on this. Thanks!

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do a water change before adding anything. 15g is actually 10g with rocks so 2 small fish will be the stock limit maybe 3 if you have over filtration.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, I will get the cleaner shrimp tomorrow, and 1 to 2 fish, but do you think that next weekend, I should go to get maybe 1 more fish, and my CUC?
You add cleaners as the tank needs them or they die. New tanks don't need anything the first month because there is no algae for them. Add one fish after water change. Wait 3 weeks and add second fish if everything is OK then enjoy your tank and at 3 months start adding first corals. Easy starter corals.

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You add cleaners as the tank needs them or they die. New tanks don't need anything the first month because there is no algae for them. Add one fish after water change. Wait 3 weeks and add second fish if everything is OK then enjoy your tank and at 3 months start adding first corals. Easy starter corals.
I can still get the shrimp right?

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 24.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 62 32.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.1%
Back