Clear mesh top

Ladipyg

Saltwater Diva
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
jimsflies...do you have any more mesh for sale...I have a 120 with a center brace so it doesn't have to be one continuous piece. 2 pieces at least 25" x 25" would be do-able and I would glady pay for shipping and for your trouble also. Hope you get this and thanks....

seafansar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'd like some netting also! I'm setting up a 150 gallon with two braces and a 92 bowfront. Any ideas for getting a frame to fit a bowfront?

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They sell the black mesh at lowe's incase you guys were wondering - $6 for a 50ft roll. I like the black it matches a lot better......

mdrumm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
united-aquatics-clearly-net.jpg
Anyone ever try this?

http://www.aquaticponds.com/Premium-Clear-Tight-Mesh-Pond-Netting-_p_992.html#

Premium Clear pond netting is a tight mesh that stops the smallest debris including pine needles but allows light to enter.
Keeps falling leaves and pine needles out of ponds and pools, and protects goldfish and koi from cat and other predators. Stakes are included.​

kass03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I wondered about my aquapod also. You could prolly make it square/rectangle and hope they don't jump through the small opening left.

kass

-Oz

Gone Overboard
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mesh needed

Hey guys. Sorry for not getting back with you guys.

I notice I have several PM's and haven't been getting notifications. I will work on replying to those now. I do have plenty of mesh left over as I bought an entire roll of it. I want to keep this thread on topic as a DIY, but maybe I can start a selling thread for some of it for those that are interested.

Sent you a note Jim - I'd love some of the mesh - please touch base so I can "order" it from you. :) -Chris

seafansar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I made some. Cutting the aluminum was the easy part. Putting in the mesh....*my fingers hurt!* I kept rolling the darn whatchamacallit over my thumb. They came out pretty sweet though!

P7170258.jpg

P7170260.jpg

Did find out they are not good if you have wires coming out of the tank. So it gave us an excuse to upgrade from out koralias to MP40's. Darn tops ended up costing us a ton! LOL.

Acroholic

There is no substitute.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My screens look just like yours, and I have 4 Tunze 6105s in my 210. You can notch out the back of the screen to allow the cords to pass and the screens still lay flat. I used a dremel with a cutoff wheel to do it.

You might also consider making a black acrylic cover for your overflows. Keeps fish from getting into them. The mesh screen won't. Acrylic overflow covers also keep photosynthetic alage from growing in there as well.

Most office supply places (OfficeMax, etc) sell black acrylic clipboards. I bought these and a dremel cutoff wheel will cut it to shape.

Here is a pic of my screen covers and overflow covers I made, also showing the notches for the Tunze cords. I switched the mesh out for the type Jim is selling on this thread a couple weeks after this pic was taken.

http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=14737&d=1230940653

Dave

I made some. Cutting the aluminum was the easy part. Putting in the mesh....*my fingers hurt!* I kept rolling the darn whatchamacallit over my thumb. They came out pretty sweet though!

P7170258.jpg

P7170260.jpg

Did find out they are not good if you have wires coming out of the tank. So it gave us an excuse to upgrade from out koralias to MP40's. Darn tops ended up costing us a ton! LOL.

Last edited:

Brad Syphus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a black acrylic cover on my oveflow to keep the fish out. Plus the added value of keeping the algea from growing in there.

003-4.jpg

OP
OP
J

jimsflies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a cover for my overflow using black sign board. It looks like corrugated carboard except plastic. Cuts easily with scissors. I think any craft store carries it. Mine is 4 years old now and still looks like the day I cut it out.

iunknown

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, I tried an acrylic top, but like the others mentioned I was having problems with overheating without evaporation. So I got a dremel and am going to cut out the middle portion to install some netting. The only stuff I found at lowes was black. Since the tank is rimless, I'm concerned about the look, and have been looking around for clearn mesh netting. Preferably diamond shape. I'll then use a hot glue gun to attach the screen. From reading through DIY post I found this supplier (I'm going to check out a pond store after work).
- Cardinal Gates DS15CL 15' Roll Outdoor Netting - Clear - Now $24.95 - 02-Sep-09
But from what I read its too big (1/2" square?). Saw this and thought it might work,
Cabela's -- Fitec Quick Throw Cast Mono Net
I thought I ran into a good DIY website on the subject, but I for the life of me cannot find the link.

seafansar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I made some handles for mine out of clear plastic wall corner protectors that I cut, painted black, and taped it to the frame with double sided tape.

P9020853.jpg

P9020854.jpg

iunknown

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is what I came up with this weekend. My DIY skills are lacking but it will do. I was thinking about getting clear fish netting from this place,
Cabela's -- Fitec Quick Throw Cast Mono Net
But will probably just settle with the black bird netting I picked up from lowes.

IMG_4144.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 35.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%

Back