Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to cover a hole on a glass tank
whats the best way to cover a hole and fill a tank
Where is the hole located on the tank? What size hole is it? How large is the tank? What is the glass thickness?
There are different methods depending on your intended purpose.

OP
OP
techhnyne

techhnyne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where is the hole located on the tank? What size hole is it? How large is the tank? What is the glass thickness?
There are different methods depending on your intended purpose.
3/8" glass on a 25 gallon peninsula the hole is on the top left of the tank where the return hole is but when putting a overflow box the bulkhead does not fit anymore for a return bulkhead
i would need to move the hole for the return pipe to the other side

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3/8" glass on a 25 gallon peninsula the hole is on the top left of the tank where the return hole is but when putting a overflow box the bulkhead does not fit anymore for a return bulkhead
i would need to move the hole for the return pipe to the other side
If the hole is near the top, you have more options since the pressure is lower.
One option would be to get a piece of glass larger than the hole and silicone it over the hole (preferably inside the tank). This is more risky at the bottom where pressures are greater, but it is a workable solution at low pressure near the top (as in your case). This method gives a clearer, less-noticeable cover. A circular piece of glass with the sharp edges smoothed off would be ideal, but a small square would work as well. Just watch out for exposed sharp edges which should be polished or covered with silicone.
Another option is what @piranhaman00 mentioned: install a dummy bulkhead in the hole that is blocked somehow, such as capped plumbing attached to the bulkhead. If you use a bulkhead with interior threading for the plumbing, you should be able to find a plug that threads in from any local hardware store.

OP
OP
techhnyne

techhnyne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the hole is near the top, you have more options since the pressure is lower.
One option would be to get a piece of glass larger than the hole and silicone it over the hole (preferably inside the tank). This is more risky at the bottom where pressures are greater, but it is a workable solution at low pressure near the top (as in your case). This method gives a clearer, less-noticeable cover. A circular piece of glass with the sharp edges smoothed off would be ideal, but a small square would work as well. Just watch out for exposed sharp edges which should be polished or covered with silicone.
Another option is what @piranhaman00 mentioned: install a dummy bulkhead in the hole that is blocked somehow, such as capped plumbing attached to the bulkhead. If you use a bulkhead with interior threading for the plumbing, you should be able to find a plug that threads in from any local hardware store.
Its at the very top by the water line. Do i need glass or can i use a piece of acrylic? A bulk head wont fit here because the new overflow blocks half the hole where bulkhead goes

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are water tight flush mount rubber hole plugs if the hole is fairly standard size. If it's at the top, this is probably sufficient for your needs. Shouldn't be more than a buck or two (look at electrical supply). Might want to add some super glue - might not.

OP
OP
techhnyne

techhnyne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• 56075C84-B362-414D-AB8D-851A161EE990.jpeg
    56075C84-B362-414D-AB8D-851A161EE990.jpeg
    101.1 KB · Views: 22
OP
OP
techhnyne

techhnyne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d just sand the side of the bulkhead and make a flat spot and use it as your return… problem solved. :)
I thought about that but it’s entirely too big the bulkhead will not fit in because it covers more than a quarter of the bulkhead

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought about that but it’s entirely too big the bulkhead will not fit in because it covers more than a quarter of the bulkhead
Is the overflow box not attached to the tank? You’re just holding it up there for the picture? The picture shows plenty of room.

OP
OP
techhnyne

techhnyne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to look through the hole on the backside

Attachments

• 5DB63A28-9FBB-43E9-8C98-7433B41D4AC5.jpeg
    5DB63A28-9FBB-43E9-8C98-7433B41D4AC5.jpeg
    95.2 KB · Views: 22

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to look through the hole on the backside
It’s hard to tell from that picture how much room you really have.. is sanding down part of the bulkhead that attaches the overflow a option so can scoot the box over a hair and give you room to sand down the return one? If not I’d say get a small glass tile or piece of glass from Amazon or Home Depot and silicone it on the back and fill the hole on the inside of the tank with black silicone for the best look you’re gonna get on that repair.. there won’t be much pressure on it up there so you’d be fine leak wise.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d say it’s even safe to even use acrylic and patch the way I mentioned.. glue a thin piece of 1/8” on the back and fill the hole from the inside with black silicone.. the acrylic will just hold the silicone in the hole as a backer… plenty strong for what you got going on.

Sm1nts2escape

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where can i get a piece of glass 2”x2”? Also i have the glass hole that was cut that fits inside the hole.
I bought glass from home depot years and years ago I think. Or could probably go to walmart or dollar store or something and get a small picture frame that uses glass and toss the rest.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 186 72.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 18 7.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 48 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back