Closing up polyps

SkimHeavy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I was wondering if I could get some advice. Some of my zoanthids and palys are closing up. The colony in the picture attached has been in my care for 3 years. This is a frag from the main colony I moved about two months ago to spread these things around.

Some are only partially closed, as in half the skirt. Some that are closed have a bulge to the side like a snake that swallowed something. Some are closed where the skirt is folded inside but you can see the mouth and some area around it. Some are closed up completely. Some are still completely open.

The picture is an example but it's happening on other types in my tank too.

Any ideas?

Tank has been set up for 4 years.
Dkh 8.2
Cal 440
Mag 1350
Nitrates are a bit high at 10ppm
Phosphates are .25

In an effort to lower nitrates and phosphates I have begun using all in one pellets but I started with 1/4 the amount 16 days ago and then added another 1/4 the recommended about 2 days ago. I have previously run these before without issue. I did add some zoanthids about two weeks ago I got from another reefer. I did NOT dip, however the ones I got at that time seem to be the only ones that are NOT doing this.

5d28c11a09d0acd228124b25d6b6ed7a.jpg

d00e44f92b91d047a72cb1c7773795f5.jpg

OP
OP
SkimHeavy

SkimHeavy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should add, I haven't seen anything walking across them, and none that have closed have opened back up yet. You can see the "hornets" or whatever they are on the left in the picture are doing it too.

Staggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a frag of blue hornets (two polyps) that I'm having the same issue with. My parameters are very close to what yours are, although my nitrates and phos are lower because I've been running biopellets for months. I got my frag about 1.5 months ago and it had no issues while on a shelf for months. Then one closed up and the other followed, it has had good growth on it.

I haven't seen them out in a week, I did recently change my ecotech lighting schedule to the LPS/Mix reef (after they closed up) and two nights ago I moved this frag down to the sand bed. I've looked it over and dipped it once....I can't see anything going on with it.

So I'm following this thread to see what you can come up with :) I've had a couple cheap frags that will come out for half the day then close up the rest of the day......I haven't worried much about them.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks to me like something is chewing on them too. Do you dip all your corals before putting them in the tank? If so, how? If not, what was the last thing you added and when?

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 21 60.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 5.7%
Back