Cloudy water after water change

Hetts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did my first saltwater tank water change. I’ve had the tank setup a little over a week and I’ve added turbo start 900 to boost the cycle and after that I waited 4 days before I went and got two clowns and 4 hermit crabs. After having those for about a week I just did a small 2.5 gallon water change in my biocube 32. After I added the water and everything back in my water is now a bit cloudy. Why is this and what can I do to fix this? I tested my water and my ammonia, ph, nitrites and nitrates are all fine as well. Thanks!

1F2F2AB0-A9FE-425D-B49C-7B6A7691A69F.jpeg

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be blow off from the rocks, how long did you mix the saltwater before adding it to tank?

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 2 hours. I had power head and heater in water
I usually wait about 24 hours then add to tank just to be sure it’s mixed properly also could be sand getting mixed up when you did the water change. How long has it been since water change?

OP
OP
H

Hetts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually wait about 24 hours then add to tank just to be sure it’s mixed properly also could be sand getting mixed up when you did the water change. How long has it been since water change?
It’s only been like 30 mins since the water change. It’s just the water became cloudy like right away

OP
OP
H

Hetts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for io salt I would mix for a day ahead prior to water change, they take a while to mix.
Yeah and I realized that after I already had taken out the water in my tank and dumped it. Do you think my water in my tank will eventually just clear up on it’s own in a day or so?

Hersheyb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah and I realized that after I already had taken out the water in my tank and dumped it. Do you think my water in my tank will eventually just clear up on it’s own in a day or so?

I had cases in the past where it never cleared up, i would give it a day or so.. if it doesn't you can try running carbon, worst cases water change.. This is one of the reasons why i ended up switching salt... io salt works, but it's pretty "dirty" I switched over to ESV salt years ago... it more expensive and more work to mix, but it's super consistent and clean. I mix for about an hour and it's good to go..

OP
OP
H

Hetts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had cases in the past where it never cleared up, i would give it a day or so.. if it doesn't you can try running carbon, worst cases water change.. This is one of the reasons why i ended up switching salt... io salt works, but it's pretty "dirty" I switched over to ESV salt years ago... it more expensive and more work to mix, but it's super consistent and clean. I mix for about an hour and it's good to go..
With the picture I posted above does it seem like something that would probably clear up. It doesn’t seems too severe and it was a very small water change

Hersheyb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the picture I posted above does it seem like something that would probably clear up. It doesn’t seems too severe and it was a very small water change

it looks like it should, it's not too bad... but time will tell.

Fink

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a fine sand substrate in my fluval 13.5, and unless I drip the new water in I end up with at least some cloudiness. Clears up in a few hours.

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Red Sea salt for years and switched over to tropic marin and absolutely love it mixes so well I would highly suggest it.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 45 20.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 160 73.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.6%
Back