clown fish and spots?

ericad289

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have just noticed that my ocellaris clown fish pair has tiny black spots on them. it is possible they have always been there and i just noticed it- what is it and is this normal? Sorry i do not know how to post pics. I have just started watching them more closely since they started hosting in my new torch coral last week.

roshi719

Official fish poo remover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds like the black ich to me. I would definitely check more into it.

OP
OP
E

ericad289

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have never heard of black ich. what is it and how do i need to treat it.

R

reef-nut

View Badges
I got some with the same thing. Mine is more like black color change than ick. Just little black spots all over. The do not itch or have any side efects from it.

R

reef-nut

View Badges
The black ich that the yellow tangs get is not like mine. The black ich tangs get is like a black piece of salt on the skin as is regular ich. My clowns has spots, but is color change it is not raised on the skin. I guess I need a pic.

paintballer768

Master of Puppets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like hyper-melaninization. Its when your clown begins getting a dark, blotchy pigmentation due to stings from corals. Does your clown host something? I doubt it is black ich, but to make sure.

ericad289, how large are the black dots? Are they tiny tiny tiny or do they look like the actual color of the scales is changing?

LorenK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post some pics and don't over-react. My clown get's spots on her side often. Typically from stress or even possibly from the anemone. They go away.

For posting pics, I typically host mine up on imageshack.us but there are tons of different services available. Use the little icon with the mountain on it to link the URL to the image.

OP
OP
E

ericad289

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks everyone, i will see if i can get a good pic they move so quick it is really difficult to get a good clear pic ;and then try to figure out how to post. the spots are not real tiny ( i noticed them sitting on my couch a couple of feet away.) and they look like just color change to me. i just got a torch coral at the chatt frag swap 2 weeks ago and the clowns started hosting in it last week. so i thought it might have something to do with that.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 182 72.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back