Clown fish possibly spawning

perocchit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So we have had our 25 gallon tank for about 6 months and we think our clownfish may be getting ready to spawn. They are nipping at each other a lot, the male hangs around a small hole in one of my live rocks a little less than half the time I see them. We always found them together but we thought we were missing the male a couple days ago. We eventually found the male come out of this live rock and he keeps going back for periods of time without the female.
I guess some of these actions are indicative of them spawning but are there any other tell tale signs clown fish spawning? Also, when they do spawn (if they spawn) is my 25 falling tank gonna be able to handle it? I have had a bacterial bloom before and don’t want hundreds of tiny clownfish to nuke me tank.

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First thing is how old are the clownfish they take a minimum of 18 months to be able to reproduce in my experience usually longer. Second the female wouldn’t be the one tending to the eggs the male does that. If they did lay eggs they won’t survive the filtration or fish eating them anyways.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Healthy clownfish spawn constantly. The eggs may hatch but the fry will be eaten almost immediately. They are very tiny and will not be able to grow in that tank. You need a special tank and rotifers for food. It takes a lot of time to raise them and I only did it a few times.

These are my Fireclowns spawning in this bottle. They are over 30 years old here.

OP
OP
P

perocchit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First thing is how old are the clownfish they take a minimum of 18 months to be able to reproduce in my experience usually longer. Second the female wouldn’t be the one tending to the eggs the male does that. If they did lay eggs they won’t survive the filtration or fish eating them anyways.
I have only had the clownfish for 6 months, I dunno how old they were when I got them. I guess my biggest concern was we were going to spawn loads of clownfish in my smaller 25 gallon tank. Thanks.

OP
OP
P

perocchit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Healthy clownfish spawn constantly. The eggs may hatch but the fry will be eaten almost immediately. They are very tiny and will not be able to grow in that tank. You need a special tank and rotifers for food. It takes a lot of time to raise them and I only did it a few times.

These are my Fireclowns spawning in this bottle. They are over 30 years old here.

Thanks. Like in my other reply, my biggest concern was them multiplying too much in my 25 gallon tank. Trying not to introduce new fish, my tank is less than a year since it was first cycled and want it to age, not create tons and tons of new fish. Also, the video was super helpful. The bigger one I haven’t seen by the small hole in my live rock, but the male keeps going back to it and hanging out in it. The small crater he’s going in is facing the back of the tank and difficult to look in as is, and I don’t want to move the rock and disturb them. I am sharing this video with my wife, thanks!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 119 81.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back