Clown Mouth Open?

penguinexdeus

Poor Decision Maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So noticed yesterday that my one clown looks to have started hosting my hammer coral. They've never shown interest in hosting before.

At same time I noticed the clown's mouth is almost constantly open. Clown does seem to like burying his head in it or biting the hammer. Initially thought maybe was acting aggressive towards other fish in his new "territory", but he still does it when he leaves the hammer area. Could his mouth being open be because it's irritated or sore from getting stung? I think I saw somewhere clowns suck on anemones tentacles to get used to sting or build up tolerance.

Doesn't seem to be locked open, and don't see anything in mouth that I can tell. Still goes after food. Acting normal otherwise (besides hanging out by hammer more than usual).

Here's a video but I couldn't get a great shot of the mouth.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So noticed yesterday that my one clown looks to have started hosting my hammer coral. They've never shown interest in hosting before.

At same time I noticed the clown's mouth is almost constantly open. Clown does seem to like burying his head in it or biting the hammer. Initially thought maybe was acting aggressive towards other fish in his new "territory", but he still does it when he leaves the hammer area. Could his mouth being open be because it's irritated or sore from getting stung? I think I saw somewhere clowns suck on anemones tentacles to get used to sting or build up tolerance.

Doesn't seem to be locked open, and don't see anything in mouth that I can tell. Still goes after food. Acting normal otherwise (besides hanging out by hammer more than usual).

Here's a video but I couldn't get a great shot of the mouth.

Sorry, I’m away from my office computer and your video wont show on my phone.

I’ve seen clownfish damage their mouths sparring with another clown - does it have a tankmate?

Clowns are not immune from hammer coral stings, so it could have damaged its mouth perhaps - does the clown have any black spots on it? Coral stings can cause that.

Jay

OP
OP
penguinexdeus

penguinexdeus

Poor Decision Maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I’m away from my office computer and your video wont show on my phone.

I’ve seen clownfish damage their mouths sparring with another clown - does it have a tankmate?

Clowns are not immune from hammer coral stings, so it could have damaged its mouth perhaps - does the clown have any black spots on it? Coral stings can cause that.

Jay

Yes. There's another clown and this one has always been subdominant. Have had them almost a year. Haven't seen any fighting and they still hang out together a good amount of the time. No unusual black spots, he's always had a darker black back area.

OP
OP
penguinexdeus

penguinexdeus

Poor Decision Maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to try attaching video here also

Attachments

• PXL_20230617_221130430.TS.mp4
    54.6 MB

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rubbing, territory display, normal.
Cant see any pics so mouth thing I can’t say.
Likely will end in a dead hammer though.
IMG_1626.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Here's a few photos also.
PXL_20230617_233932045.jpg

PXL_20230617_234031992.jpg
PXL_20230617_233915687.jpg
PXL_20230617_234029822.jpg
Mouth shows injury and is either infection and injury or lock jaw in which it would have to unlock on its own. Often with this the fish has difficulty breathing and may endure further stress and inability to eat. There really is no medication to correct this and getting it to eat even brine shrimp may help from getting thin but may not be probable.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could view that video. That’s a weird one! I’ve had fish develop lockjaw from mechanical damage, but why does it keep nosing into the coral?
Sorry I don’t have a solution for you,
Jay

OP
OP
penguinexdeus

penguinexdeus

Poor Decision Maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey buddy, what happened with your clown?

I have exact same problem. Dominant fish acting like this, hanging around torch coral.

Still pretty much same, though not hanging around hammer as much. Yesterday he was really into one of the torches. Mouth still seems to be bugging him but he's acting fine otherwise.
PXL_20230708_143439304.jpg

marcosnano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strange.

What do you think it is? Injured from biting other fish? Becase mine was picking poor male from time to time.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Still pretty much same, though not hanging around hammer as much. Yesterday he was really into one of the torches. Mouth still seems to be bugging him but he's acting fine otherwise.
PXL_20230708_143439304.jpg
low oxygen, gill flukes or infection or lockjaw are primary reasons.
How are you testing ammonia level?

OP
OP
penguinexdeus

penguinexdeus

Poor Decision Maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strange.

What do you think it is? Injured from biting other fish? Becase mine was picking poor male from time to time.
Mine is the subdominant male. Female is fine and not bothering any corals. My best guess is maybe some stings to mines mouth? Mouth area looks a little white/pale. He can open and close mouth just seems like it bothers him... Not really sure. I've been keeping an eye on him incase it seems to get worse. Trying to catch them out is a pain lol.

OP
OP
penguinexdeus

penguinexdeus

Poor Decision Maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
low oxygen, gill flukes or infection or lockjaw are primary reasons.
How are you testing ammonia level?

Oxygen is fine and jaw doesn't seem locked since he does open and close it - just keeps it open most of time. What's best way to treat flukes and/or infection? Think maybe I'll try that just in case.

I haven't tested ammonia in a week or two but I use Hanna and red sea. Both were pretty much none.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Oxygen is fine and jaw doesn't seem locked since he does open and close it - just keeps it open most of time. What's best way to treat flukes and/or infection? Think maybe I'll try that just in case.

I haven't tested ammonia in a week or two but I use Hanna and red sea. Both were pretty much none.
For flukes- PraziPro treatment. Best in quarantine and dose at 86% of recommended and apply initial dosage known as an interval for 8 days, do a water change and do one more 8 day dose interval
Use airstone with prazi as it does reduce both oxygen and appetite

Hawkeyesown11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any update on the clownfish? I'm having the same issue. My male clownfish (paired with female) just started trying to host one of my hammer corals. He is constantly going to up to the hammer to put a polyp in his mouth, and then backs off. Mouth is constantly open with what looks like a little sore/discoloration on his bottom lip. The clownfish has been in the tank with hammer corals for 3-4 months.

OP
OP
penguinexdeus

penguinexdeus

Poor Decision Maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any update on the clownfish? I'm having the same issue. My male clownfish (paired with female) just started trying to host one of my hammer corals. He is constantly going to up to the hammer to put a polyp in his mouth, and then backs off. Mouth is constantly open with what looks like a little sore/discoloration on his bottom lip. The clownfish has been in the tank with hammer corals for 3-4 months.
Actually doing better now. Mouth looking better and not open a much. Hosted a pectinia for a day or two and is back on torch now. Female has started hosting torch also. I really think hosting the corals irritates their mouths and they just need to get used to it/ heal up. No other explanation that I could come up with. These are percula clowns if it matters...

Hawkeyesown11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually doing better now. Mouth looking better and not open a much. Hosted a pectinia for a day or two and is back on torch now. Female has started hosting torch also. I really think hosting the corals irritates their mouths and they just need to get used to it/ heal up. No other explanation that I could come up with. These are percula clowns if it matters...
Weird. Mine is an ocellaris. Still eating but constantly going up and digging around the hammer. Hopefully it doesn’t get to the point of them killing the euphyllia.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 178 72.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.9%
Back