Clown not richt

bquarium

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I notice my clown not eating lately and today when I came home I saw him hiding under my toadstool laying down. He is breathing heavy and it looks like he has lost some coloration. He is Vertical with his head pointing down.

Any suggestions?

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If posHi I notice my clown not eating lately and today when I came home I saw him hiding under my toadstool laying down. He is breathing heavy and it looks like he has lost some coloration. He is Vertical with his head pointing down.

Any suggestions?
If possible post a video on YouTube and share it. Then give a lot more information - how old how long you've had it, was it QT'd, any other fish? any other symptoms, the parameters in your tank, etc, etc.

OP
OP
bquarium

bquarium

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I notice my clown not eating lately and today when I came home I saw him hiding under my toadstool laying down. He is breathing heavy and it looks like he has lost some coloration. He is Vertical with his head pointing down.

Any suggestions?
Another video of what he is doing

Attachments

• IMG_7252.mov
    14.8 MB
OP
OP
bquarium

bquarium

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If possible post a video on YouTube and share it. Then give a lot more information - how old how long you've had it, was it QT'd, any other fish? any other symptoms, the parameters in your tank, etc, etc.

Here is the video

Regarding my tank is a new tank and it is fairly new almost 4 months. The clowns were a pair, I qt them in copper 31 days and prazi for I believe over 4 times then I hypo salinity them for another 4 weeks because they were still flashing and seemed immune to prazi. All my other fish inside the tank are bought from a lfs who does qt sells them. All my other fish look fine, they all are eating swimming with no visible signs of some type of disease.

Regarding my water parameters
Ph bounces 8-8.3 currently 8.3
Salinity 35.4
Nitrate is around 25-30
No pho test yet
Alk 8.3
Calc 414
Mag 1533
Temp 78-79

Another video he started to move isnt looking good

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Here is the video

Regarding my tank is a new tank and it is fairly new almost 4 months. The clowns were a pair, I qt them in copper 31 days and prazi for I believe over 4 times then I hypo salinity them for another 4 weeks because they were still flashing and seemed immune to prazi. All my other fish inside the tank are bought from a lfs who does qt sells them. All my other fish look fine, they all are eating swimming with no visible signs of some type of disease.

Regarding my water parameters
Ph bounces 8-8.3 currently 8.3
Salinity 35.4
Nitrate is around 25-30
No pho test yet
Alk 8.3
Calc 414
Mag 1533
Temp 78-79

IMHo - others will weigh in - it's impossible (for me) - to try to analyze behaviors in an acclimation box. The fish is ultra stressed - the box has a clear bottom - through which they are trying to get. If you quarantined them int he appropriate copper dosage - and prazipro per protocol - Plus - the LFS QT' them - I don't have any other wisdom to offer

00W

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As stated above, if you've followed all quarantine protocols please let him out of the box. He's definitely not happy about it.

OP
OP
bquarium

bquarium

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As stated above, if you've followed all quarantine protocols please let him out of the box. He's definitely not happy about it.
unfortunately he didn’t made it. I tried to put in him a separate 5galloon tank with DT water and some rocks. I want to make sure it isn’t anything serious, but does this look like it could be brooklynella? If it is anything I should worry about my dt?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
unfortunately he didn’t made it. I tried to put in him a separate 5galloon tank with DT water and some rocks. I want to make sure it isn’t anything serious, but does this look like it could be brooklynella? If it is anything I should worry about my dt?

Whenever a fish dies - its a cause for worry - and unfortunately = once dead - its really hard to say 'why', I don't see anything concerning for brooklynella. I would pause on new additions until its sure the rest of your fish, etc are ok - and it's a new tank anyway.

OP
OP
bquarium

bquarium

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whenever a fish dies - its a cause for worry - and unfortunately = once dead - its really hard to say 'why', I don't see anything concerning for brooklynella. I would pause on new additions until its sure the rest of your fish, etc are ok - and it's a new tank anyway.
Thanks again for your input. Pretty bummed out, but glad there is some resource out there in a pinch

00W

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The video that I had any access to was incredibly hard to see.
I didn't see anything wrong but it was so hard to see.
Once any acclimation box is inserted into any tank, fish or coral have now come in contact with your DT water, so take that into account.
Best of luck in the future.
There are lots of threads on this forum on how to QT and how to set one up.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

This fish is very thin and weak and likely moribund in which it will not eat or swim normal from this point forward

OP
OP
bquarium

bquarium

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The video that I had any access to was incredibly hard to see.
I didn't see anything wrong but it was so hard to see.
Once any acclimation box is inserted into any tank, fish or coral have now come in contact with your DT water, so take that into account.
Best of luck in the future.
There are lots of threads on this forum on how to QT and how to set one up.
Just to clarify, I qt’ed outside in a separate tank. The video was after I put him in there because I was worried he wasn’t looking great when I came home today. I put him in there to set up an emergency tank/looking for advice. I tried to get a better video, but it was a lot going on. If I didn’t put him in my acclimation box I wouldn’t have been able to get a video of him as he was in the back of the tank where I couldn’t record.

Thanks though.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just to clarify, I qt’ed outside in a separate tank. The video was after I put him in there because I was worried he wasn’t looking great when I came home today. I put him in there to set up an emergency tank/looking for advice. I tried to get a better video, but it was a lot going on. If I didn’t put him in my acclimation box I wouldn’t have been able to get a video of him as he was in the back of the tank where I couldn’t record.

Thanks though.
I think you did everything you could have done. Now - it's time to pay attention to the others. When I first saw your post - my assumption was that the female was bullying the male - resulting in his thin-ness, etc. I really wonder if he was eating well. In any case - best wishes going forward

00W

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks though.
Thanks for the clarification.
I meant nothing by that only expressing concern.
Sometimes all we can do is try.
My condolences.

OP
OP
bquarium

bquarium

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you did everything you could have done. Now - it's time to pay attention to the others. When I first saw your post - my assumption was that the female was bullying the male - resulting in his thin-ness, etc. I really wonder if he was eating well. In any case - best wishes going forward
Thanks, he wasn’t getting bullied much, he hung out alone a lot in the back of the tank and wasnt l eating enough. I tried everything to get him to eat, live brine, dosing copepods, frozen brine, flakes, pellets, baby brine. I tried dipping the food in garlic guard. My tank is 110g but I feel like I overfeed so no one should’ve been not getting their fill. He just didn’t seem interested in eating. I just wanted to see if there possibly could be a disease. I’ll keep my eye out though and hopefully nothing serious.

OP
OP
bquarium

bquarium

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the clarification.
I meant nothing by that only expressing concern.
Sometimes all we can do is try.
My condolences.
Thank you! Yes, sometimes that’s all we can do! Was my first fish so I'm alittle bummed.

00W

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! Yes, sometimes that’s all we can do! Was my first fish so I'm alittle bummed.
First cut is the deepest.
Keep your head up.
Sounds like you have a good handle on it so far they'll be many more to come I'm sure.

Back