Clown sick.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so just double checking....instead of trying to follow the package directions on Furan -2 I should just dose all 3 (furan - 2 Kanaplex, metro plex) every 48 hrs after a 25 percent water change?

Yes, this is correct.

Today another dose of metroplex is due, so I figure I would dose all 3 at the same time and take it from there every 48 hrs (without restarting the clock on the metroplex)

Yes, good plan ^

As for the copper, raise slowly over 4-7 days? I haven't started it yet as the wrasse's spot's actually have disappeared since the re dip / bleaching of the tank...I was going to start it today along with everything else but should I wait so they aren't getting hit by all the meds at once?

Yes, it's ok to start the copper today. Just be conservative with the first dose since you are starting the others today as well.

If you are worried, you can dose the three meds spaced-out over a few hours to reduce stress (I didn't do this though, and my fish never appeared any worse for wear because of it)

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today another dose of metroplex is due, so I figure I would dose all 3 at the same time and take it from there every 48 hrs (without restarting the clock on the metroplex)
Yes, but try to dissolve them in saltwater first. Some people report issues (rare) when all three are dosed at the exact same time, so if you have time you might spread the three out over the course of hours as a precaution.
As for the copper, raise slowly over 4-7 days? I haven't started it yet as the wrasse's spot's actually have disappeared since the re dip / bleaching of the tank...I was going to start it today along with everything else but should I wait so they aren't getting hit by all the meds at once?
Yes, you might want to wait until tomorrow to start the copper.

OP
OP
M

Montu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I can space them out just to be on the safe side, and I'll start the copper tomorrow.

As always, thanks for the continued help.

OP
OP
M

Montu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My firefish died at some point this morning or last night (thought he was hiding early this am then found him dead just now)
IMG_20170603_143357.jpg

Is that a bite mark? Is my 15 gallon qt simply too small and now I'm dealing with a fish murder?

2 days ago he skipped a meal but yesterday he ate very lightly...in the begining of re qting him the hawk fish bullied the wrasse and the wrasse bullied the firefish a bit but things seemed to get better after the clown passed ..I figured more room in the tank fixed it...guess not?

Copper is at approx 1.0 metroplex kanaplex and furan - 2 dosed last night after a 25-30 percent WC.

Poseidon84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its hard to say what the wound is but i would say it looks like a bite more then a simple lesion. are there any carnivorous inverts in your tank? or was this in a qt?

OP
OP
M

Montu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Qt mates are a hawk fish and six line and that's it

Poseidon84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well both of those species are carnivorous. so it is a possibility that one of them got him. id say most likely the wrasse but it could have been posthumously.

OP
OP
M

Montu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clown had a wound as well... hopefully everything will be fine in the bigger DT.... :-/

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The wound might have been scavenging. Fish tend to pick on the weak when they are going downhill :/

I would get that copper up sooner than later if you haven't yet...

OP
OP
M

Montu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The wound might have been scavenging. Fish tend to pick on the weak when they are going downhill :/

I would get that copper up sooner than later if you haven't yet...
I figured that's what happened to the clown too..

If it's safe I will up the copper to therapeutic levels tonight

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured that's what happened to the clown too..

If it's safe I will up the copper to therapeutic levels tonight

Go ahead. I think you'll want to get them up asap.

OP
OP
M

Montu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper has been steady at 1.5 to 2ppm, the 10 day course of metro kana and furan went by without a hitch...everything was fine but then this morning I see the wrasse on his side, no visible signs of anything new but his hiding so it's hard to tell.

The only thing I was wondering about is he has some lighter colored spots over where the white spots were before...to me it just looked like it was healing..but I hadn't gotten a good picture to post here.

The ammonia badge showed the first alert color of green so I went ahead and did a 50 percent water change and am crossing my fingers that will do it (even though the hawk fish is acting just fine )

Should I do anything else? MB bath?? Roll back the copper ?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper has been steady at 1.5 to 2ppm, the 10 day course of metro kana and furan went by without a hitch...everything was fine but then this morning I see the wrasse on his side, no visible signs of anything new but his hiding so it's hard to tell.

The only thing I was wondering about is he has some lighter colored spots over where the white spots were before...to me it just looked like it was healing..but I hadn't gotten a good picture to post here.

The ammonia badge showed the first alert color of green so I went ahead and did a 50 percent water change and am crossing my fingers that will do it (even though the hawk fish is acting just fine )

Should I do anything else? MB bath?? Roll back the copper ?

Stay the course for now. Try to get a good look at the wrasse and a picture.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Montu Is he dead or alive? In addition to the splotches, it looks like something (bacterial) is eating away at his tail fin.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%

Back