Clownfish are finally breeding

frezel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so for a while now i had no action and 2 days ago i lowered my temps abit and raised my salinity and bam! i was walking past the room and said WHAT!! is that fish laying eggs, so i an over like a noob amd interupted everything and got the family and cameras and popcorn and watched lol they seemed annoyed but i didnt care. history of female, she has been a proven layer, male well lets just say its 6 years old and i thought it was a female until i paired them up 1 month ago and he started showing signs that he was a male not female. anyway, what i did notice tonight is that female did her part but male was being a bit stupid, didnt look like he was fertilizing the egss, maybe even eating them. i took some videos ill post but why do my eggs seem white in color and not orange? is it because hes not fertilizing them. i also assume that i will leave these and possibly the next few clutches in tank before i harvest them? because i dont have anything ready for raising fry as i was almost ready to throw in the towel.

feel free to help me along and advice.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Congrats!

revsgirl

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! Congrats!

Chasing the Dream Giver, not the dream! Tonya

OP
OP
F

frezel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So he ate the eggs almost as fast as she was laying them, urghhh he's a stupid new male I think its gonna take a few lays to get him going right.oh well we will see if she does it again in 2 weeks

Sonner171

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always wanted to get into breeding clowns. Good Luck with it, and keep us posted how it goes next time.

Mr Cob

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So he ate the eggs almost as fast as she was laying them, urghhh he's a stupid new male I think its gonna take a few lays to get him going right.oh well we will see if she does it again in 2 weeks

Yeah, just keep things steady and stable and no changes from what you've been doing this last couple of weeks. Sometimes we think the male is a bum but really he also should peck off bad eggs... So who knows maybe they were all bad and he deserves a little credit lol.

One of my pairs lays every 7-12 days... The 7 day lays are normally small nests and the 12 days lays are larger nests that also seem to have larger more healthy looking eggs.

Sent from my HTC VIVID using Tapatalk

OP
OP
F

frezel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing that screws me up is 2 days before they laid i chamged temp to 82 from 86 and bothered sg from 1.020 to 1.022 so not sure if changing it started something or if I should change back to what it was. My gut says leave it and sees what happens in the next few weeks

Mr Cob

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well they laid. I'd keep it. That's exactly where I run and it works for me. I think you encouraged the lay. I see what you are saying though.. perhaps they laid as a result of everything you had been doing and you are worried that you may have interrupted the cycle.

But... they laid.

sent from my Samsung Note 8 on tapatalk

OP
OP
F

frezel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
shes getting so fat again her head is huge and has a pot belly oh yeah here comes more boring looking Clownfish

lol now if my picasso or cquest onyx would spawn lol i ld be in business, but i guess u gotta start so,ewhere

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Not Necessarily.. The male will eat bad eggs so they don't rot and hurt the rest. If the eggs were not orange it means they probably were no good to begin with... Probably why it took a while to get them to lay.. I would look towards nutrition. It could just be a bad female too... You need to see orange eggs before blaming the male..

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

frezel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the eggs where pale in color but i do feed good food and lots of it, i use thera a and cyclopeeze as well as other flakes etc. i feed occasionaly brine and mysis very sparingly

OP
OP
F

frezel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Her tube is out and their going threw the motions maybe more eyes tonight oh yeah

OP
OP
F

frezel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its hatch night of cluster #2 there are 8 eggs left lol making progress

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 38 28.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 26 19.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back