OP
OP
re76

re76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably best to ditch TTM for now. Check this out and see if you can swing it. *Salvage protocol for treating very sick fish* If not then at a minimum get them into copper now.

Can I add copper with the Prazipro? I already did the transfer to next tank which had Prazipro in it. I'm fine using copper and ditching TTM, but is it safe to use copper with the Prazipro?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I add copper with the Prazipro? I already did the transfer to next tank which had Prazipro in it. I'm fine using copper and ditching TTM, but is it safe to use copper with the Prazipro?

It's not generally recommended because of the bacterial bloom that can result. I typically say not to add them on the same day and to be sure to add plenty of O2 to the tank. Not being able to see them myself I can only guess, but I would say to abandon the prazi as well. The very sickly clown might not make it but it has a better chance with the protocol linked above.

OP
OP
re76

re76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He just started doing barrel rolls through the water, like swimming crazily through the water doing flips. Is that indicative of anything? Now he seems to have calmed down again and is laying on his side on the bottom. Still rapidly breathing.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He just started doing barrel rolls through the water, like swimming crazily through the water doing flips. Is that indicative of anything? Now he seems to have calmed down again and is laying on his side on the bottom. Still rapidly breathing.

It's definitely not good. He's weakened quite a bit.

OP
OP
re76

re76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pragmatist in me is wondering if I should just carry on with the TTM with the other clown, put fresh water in the tank they just came from and dose copper in there and lower temp and salinity as suggested.

Currently I'm doubtful he is going to make it. It is a long shot and would require a bunch of extra work. At what point do you decide it isn't worth it?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pragmatist in me is wondering if I should just carry on with the TTM with the other clown, put fresh water in the tank they just came from and dose copper in there and lower temp and salinity as suggested.

Currently I'm doubtful he is going to make it. It is a long shot and would require a bunch of extra work. At what point do you decide it isn't worth it?

If there's no way I can save them and I think they are suffering, I will consider euthanizing. I would definitely get the other clown into treatment before he starts going downhill.

OP
OP
re76

re76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there's no way I can save them and I think they are suffering, I will consider euthanizing. I would definitely get the other clown into treatment before he starts going downhill.

How likely is it that the other clown would make it through TTM if he is not exhibiting symptoms? I'm a naïve amateur here, but I'm inclined to split them up, let the healthy clown make it through TTM (hopefully) and place the sick clown in another tank and dose copper.

Or should I just put them both in another tank and dose copper? I didn't get the right copper test kit today so I would be dosing as per instructions with no way to confirm.

Also I sincerely appreciate all the help. This is really stressful for me.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd put both in the QT with copper. I'm thinking velvet here... and the other certainly has it as well, just a stronger immune system than the first.

OP
OP
re76

re76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd put both in the QT with copper. I'm thinking velvet here... and the other certainly has it as well, just a stronger immune system than the first.

Ok I have two ten gallon tanks. They were in the first one, when I got home I transferred them to the second which had Prazipro. That's where they are now. I'm thinking I can dump the water out that is in the first tank and dose the copper there in fresh mixed water as per the directions, hoping I get the right dosage since I don't have a useful copper test kit.

I will use the suggested low salinity and temp and aerate heavily with two air stones.

Does this sound sane? I'm struggling here. These are my first saltwater fish, and was not totally prepared to deal with all this on my first go around.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I have two ten gallon tanks. They were in the first one, when I got home I transferred them to the second which had Prazipro. That's where they are now. I'm thinking I can dump the water out that is in the first tank and dose the copper there in fresh mixed water as per the directions, hoping I get the right dosage since I don't have a useful copper test kit.

I will use the suggested low salinity and temp and aerate heavily with two air stones.

Does this sound sane? I'm struggling here. These are my first saltwater fish, and was not totally prepared to deal with all this on my first go around.

You're doing alright. I would under-dose the copper just a bit. Be sure to put them in water that matches what they are in now and lower the salinity slowly. They can go down a lot quicker than they can go up. Take a couple hours to bring them down in both salinity and temp. You want to act quickly, but with purpose and without panic. You'll do just fine. Just remember that this is the reason we QT in the first place. We don't want to introduce these things into the display.

OP
OP
re76

re76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. So I have a 30 gallon tank set up also with a sponge filter that has been cycling. I have been avoiding using it as it was my tank I was going to put them in for observation after TTM. It has been cycled for a few days now

I'm going to use it for its purpose, which is a hospital/QT tank. Temp and salinity match right now. I'm going to transfer them there. Do I need to slowly increase the copper while they are in it? Or can I dose copper and just add them?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. So I have a 30 gallon tank set up also with a sponge filter that has been cycling. I have been avoiding using it as it was my tank I was going to put them in for observation after TTM. It has been cycled for a few days now

I'm going to use it for its purpose, which is a hospital/QT tank. Temp and salinity match right now. I'm going to transfer them there. Do I need to slowly increase the copper while they are in it? Or can I dose copper and just add them?

Wait until they are in the tank before dosing the copper. If you had a test kit then I would say to add a little every hour until it's up to therapeutic levels, but we don't have that luxury today. Just do the recommended dose minus a little bit to be safe.

OP
OP
re76

re76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok per the cupramine directions I dosed about 94% of what they recommend for this size tank.

I knocked the heat down and will work on slowly decreasing the salinity via addition of RO water. I will add one additional drop of cupramine for every 2 liters of water I add as per the directions of 20 drops per 40 Liters.

The 30 gal QT has a tiny 250 gph power head in it that is just blowing him all around. I'm going to turn it off for now and rely on the air stones at least for tonight.

Last edited:

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok per the cupramine directions I dosed about 94% of what they recommend for this size tank.

OK. first order of business tomorrow is to get the test kit and make sure the copper levels are ok. Then you can dose again.

OP
OP
re76

re76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK. first order of business tomorrow is to get the test kit and make sure the copper levels are ok. Then you can dose again.

Unfortunately I won't be able to get to the LFS until after work tomorrow. Crossing my fingers that the initial dose is enough to help. Going to let them chill in the dark for a bit then start adding the RO water slowly.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I won't be able to get to the LFS until after work tomorrow. Crossing my fingers that the initial dose is enough to help. Going to let them chill in the dark for a bit then start adding the RO water slowly.

I figure it's safer to wait until you have the test kit before dosing again..... Mainly for the safety of the other clown. I hope the first one gets better for you, but odds are low at this point.

OP
OP
re76

re76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if he doesn't make it through the night, should I tell the LFS tomorrow? Do I get another one and add him into the tank with the other healthy one? I have always heard that clowns should be in pairs.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if he doesn't make it through the night, should I tell the LFS tomorrow? Do I get another one and add him into the tank with the other healthy one? I have always heard that clowns should be in pairs.

At the LFS i work at, we wouldn't give you anything for it. The best we would do is give you a discount on another one, but that's rare. If your LFS will do better, then go ahead and try. The worst they can say is no. Just be prepared for that because most LFS do not have any guarantees on their livestock especially saltwater. Clowns don't have to be in pairs. They can do just fine on their own. If you want a pair, I'd wait until the first one is done with QT before getting another. The risk of introducing yet another parasite or pathogen to the so-far OK clown is high and complicates the QT process.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 24 23.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 74 71.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.8%
Back