Clownfish coral stings?

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20230924_155548.jpg

Are these small black spots on its head coral stings?
Both clowns have them.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Did you Qt the fish? Any other symptoms? What corals/anemones do you have? Are your parameters ok? There could be a couple reasons for the spots.

OP
OP
Brad Coughlan

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you Qt the fish? Any other symptoms? What corals/anemones do you have? Are your parameters ok? There could be a couple reasons for the spots.
No qt, had the clowns for 7 months, parameters are ok besides the nitrate which is a tad bit high, I took all my rock out yesterday to clean hair algae off so they were stressed yesterday. I have also noticed that the female clown and royal gramma have been having a bit of aggresion over territory.

Corals right now are mushrooms, frogspawn, duncan, candy cane, gsp

85l / 20gal tank btw

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No qt, had the clowns for 7 months, parameters are ok besides the nitrate which is a tad bit high, I took all my rock out yesterday to clean hair algae off so they were stressed yesterday. I have also noticed that the female clown and royal gramma have been having a bit of aggresion over territory.

Corals right now are mushrooms, frogspawn, duncan, candy cane, gsp

85l / 20gal tank btw
water quality can have an effect on such spots - and I would,d consider that. (i.e. the nitrates) - I would doubt 'black ich' - which should be self-limited anyway - and not necessarily show up 7 months later. A coral sting is possible! Are the spots changing at all?

OP
OP
Brad Coughlan

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
water quality can have an effect on such spots - and I would,d consider that. (i.e. the nitrates) - I would doubt 'black ich' - which should be self-limited anyway - and not necessarily show up 7 months later. A coral sting is possible! Are the spots changing at all?
I only noticed the spots this morning and they haven't changed for a few hours. I have been doing more frequent water changes recently to lower nitrates and phosphates, I will run a nitrate test later and see what it's at, I have been running elavated nitrates for a few weeks now (not saying that it's ideal)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Known as hyper melanization will subside on its own and requires no treatment unless there is skin sores which is not the case
Maybe next time the clown will get lucky and find it’s nem home

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ah ok that's good
Cheers
Agree this is hypermelanization (which means basically black areas) but it can be caused by multiple things. One thing to watch, though, is - they often attempt going back into where they were stung before - and that can cause what would look to be a 'worsening' - and can increase the likelihood of an infection, etc. It's also possible - that they will adapt to whatever stung them - and will just hang out with that coral. If you have some time (like a couple hours lol) - or a webcam - it would be interesting to see if the clowns go to a certain coral, etc. (which they often will). The way clowns eventually 'get along' with their anemone is repeated stings, until their mucus, immune system resists the toxin.

I would be interested in seeing a picture of your tank either way - have you considered a build thread?

OP
OP
Brad Coughlan

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree this is hypermelanization (which means basically black areas) but it can be caused by multiple things. One thing to watch, though, is - they often attempt going back into where they were stung before - and that can cause what would look to be a 'worsening' - and can increase the likelihood of an infection, etc. It's also possible - that they will adapt to whatever stung them - and will just hang out with that coral. If you have some time (like a couple hours lol) - or a webcam - it would be interesting to see if the clowns go to a certain coral, etc. (which they often will). The way clowns eventually 'get along' with their anemone is repeated stings, until their mucus, immune system resists the toxin.

I would be interested in seeing a picture of your tank either way - have you considered a build thread?
I have seen other people's, not sure how to list a thread as one though haha

Would it make sense to make one this late into the tank's life, is it something you to log your progress from start to finish?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have seen other people's, not sure how to list a thread as one though haha

Would it make sense to make one this late into the tank's life, is it something you to log your progress from start to finish?
You can make it at any time

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, if yours grows like mine it won’t take long. The female spends the most time in the duncan. She will dive in, disappear and 20 seconds later swim out from a different spot.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 165 72.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.8%
Back