Clownfish discolouration

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, you will be on your own to some extent here, since I don't have a dose from the bottle to use.

Formalin is typically dosed from Brooklynella at 25 ppm. This works out to be 0.9 ml per ten gallons. That is for 100% formalin. If your product is truly just 30% formalin, then you would adjust the dose to 3 ml per ten gallons, but I cannot guarantee that is correct since I don't actually know what's in the product other than it says "30% formalin".

Jay
I didn't see on my phone last night, but on my main computer this morning, I checked and expanded a section on that link and got some dosage information. From what I can tell, the label instructions are for 30 ppm, a bit high, but then, they dose only every 3 days which is odd. They also say don't dose with salt, which is really odd.

Jay

OP
OP
T

Tesk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't see on my phone last night, but on my main computer this morning, I checked and expanded a section on that link and got some dosage information. From what I can tell, the label instructions are for 30 ppm, a bit high, but then, they dose only every 3 days which is odd. They also say don't dose with salt, which is really odd.

Jay
30% Formaldehyde 8% methanol 62% Aqua

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30% Formaldehyde 8% methanol 62% Aqua
There is still an issue with terminology here. Formaldehyde is not the same as formalin. 30% formaldehyde is equivalent to about 80% formalin. I’m afraid I can’t help since it isn’t clear what the product actually contains. The dose I suggested was based on 30% formalin, which is about 12% formaldehyde. It may well be that the company itself is confused as to the terms they are using.

Jay

OP
OP
T

Tesk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If we assume it contains formaldehyde 37% it’s a 250ml bottle

62% in aqua maybe to sell diluted that would mean 75ml - 95ml of it is formaldehyde.

1.2ml to the gallon and bath for 30 - 60 minutes to be on the safe side.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 71 30.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 67 28.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 50 21.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 47 19.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.8%
Back