Clownfish has red/gray discoloration...

Cyberfan1999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all... (I'm a newbie to saltwater)

I have started a saltwater tank... 65 Gal. Fish only. I thought I cycled properly and added my first fish. 2 Clownfish and 3 Cardinal.

One of the clownfish now has a red/gray discoloration about a week after on both sides. The fish appears to be breathing a lot faster as compared to the other clown. Gills and fins look normal. I need some input...

Is this a disease? Is this stress? Is this something that will go away? I will post current ammonia, nitrate, nitrite numbers when I get water tested today.

Thanks in advance...

20230606_071302.jpg

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks similar to something we’ve been seeing pop up recently where the clowns get red on the white stripes.
The cause is not yet known, but it does not appear to be fatal. It may be a sign of other illnesses though - were the fish quarantined?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all... (I'm a newbie to saltwater)

I have started a saltwater tank... 65 Gal. Fish only. I thought I cycled properly and added my first fish. 2 Clownfish and 3 Cardinal.

One of the clownfish now has a red/gray discoloration about a week after on both sides. The fish appears to be breathing a lot faster as compared to the other clown. Gills and fins look normal. I need some input...

Is this a disease? Is this stress? Is this something that will go away? I will post current ammonia, nitrate, nitrite numbers when I get water tested today.

Thanks in advance...

20230606_071302.jpg
It looks like it could be Uronema which is a pain as there isn’t really a cure to it.
The fact it’s only visible on the white bar makes me want to avoid Uronema as that’s usually a rather large red patch that isn’t just on the white.

OP
OP
C

Cyberfan1999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks similar to something we’ve been seeing pop up recently where the clowns get red on the white stripes.
The cause is not yet known, but it does not appear to be fatal. It may be a sign of other illnesses though - were the fish quarantined?
Thanks for the reply... I'm glad to hear that fatality isn't on the list. I may just ride it out and see if things clear up. I did a test and nitrites are through the roof. I wonder if this is stress related. No, fish is not quarantined.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure - one problem is that people don’t always post followups so it’s hard to see how things turn out. Presumably it should, but there isn’t enough information to say so as of now.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 26 22.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 83 72.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back