Clownfish hosting bubble mushroom coral. Bad or good?

wysiwyg33015

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_8300.PNG
IMG_8298.PNG
Wondering if anyone has seen this and if this is bad for the bubble mushroom coral?

IMG_8299.PNG

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clown may become an irritant and cause some damage since the coral is not "made" for hosting. I'd watch carefully to see what happens and be prepared to move one or the other. Then again, clown may find something else in your tank.

Great pic btw

OP
OP
wysiwyg33015

wysiwyg33015

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks no signs of irritation so far. I will keep an eye on it. Pic was taken with an iPhone 5s btw

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mushrooms tend to be relatively tolerant of hosting clowns. Just keep an eye on it, it should tell you if it starts getting upset. Until then, meh, mine used to be hosted by my mag float.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As long as the coral is not hiding from the clown. I have a goni who actually likes my clowns. The goni wasn't always looking this good. Once the clowns moved in with her, she grew a lot!
20240312_115219.jpg

Keep an eye on how the coral responds. You just never know if the coral was the one sending invitation.

ChrisPPolys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as the coral is not hiding from the clown. I have a goni who actually likes my clowns. The goni wasn't always looking this good. Once the clowns moved in with her, she grew a lot!
20240312_115219.jpg

Keep an eye on how the coral responds. You just never know if the coral was the one sending invitation.
I’ll try and snap a picture of the cheeky little nonce, the mushroom isn’t reacting well lol
But then again, doesn’t it take time for them to get adjusted to each other?

Unfortunately my other clownfish passed away after about 7 years. He had hosted my toadstool. But when my toadstool shed and closed up for a few days my clownfish went ahead and made himself at home in the OG mother colony. That being said my old clownfish didn’t appear to be as aggressive when hosting in the OG. Where as now, this clownfish is nipping at and agitating the mushroom.

I’m thinking about putting something over the mother colony in attempt to get the clown to lose interest. However I’ve read this tactic doesn’t always work. Ill
Keep you posted.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ll try and snap a picture of the cheeky little nonce, the mushroom isn’t reacting well lol
But then again, doesn’t it take time for them to get adjusted to each other?

Unfortunately my other clownfish passed away after about 7 years. He had hosted my toadstool. But when my toadstool shed and closed up for a few days my clownfish went ahead and made himself at home in the OG mother colony. That being said my old clownfish didn’t appear to be as aggressive when hosting in the OG. Where as now, this clownfish is nipping at and agitating the mushroom.

I’m thinking about putting something over the mother colony in attempt to get the clown to lose interest. However I’ve read this tactic doesn’t always work. Ill
Keep you posted.
If nipping, clowns gotta go. They'll track down the coral. usually.

ChrisPPolys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20240312_115219.jpg

Hard to get a picture every time I get close to the tank he swims to the top thinking it’s feeding time lol
Guys always clownin around

Attachments

• IMG_1262.jpeg
    IMG_1262.jpeg
    194.5 KB · Views: 12

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks! Love both of em so not going to give up just yet on removing one or the other. I only have one tank so I can’t just throw either one into another tank /:
As long as the coral isn't receding, things can work out. I have had some issues with clowns and trachyphyllia in the past. They are not trampolines! I added a frogspawn and from the trachy to the frogspawn the clowns went.

Moving can work, hopefully it does for you :)
It's painful having to pick one or the other.

ChrisPPolys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as the coral isn't receding, things can work out. I have had some issues with clowns and trachyphyllia in the past. They are not trampolines! I added a frogspawn and from the trachy to the frogspawn the clowns went.

Moving can work, hopefully it does for you :)
It's painful having to pick one or the other.
Nibbling at the mushroom, doesn’t seem to be receding as much today. Perhaps it’s getting used to the clownfish.

Attachments

• IMG_1264.jpeg
    IMG_1264.jpeg
    237 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1263.jpeg
    IMG_1263.jpeg
    250.8 KB · Views: 8

Bejj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a clown who was getting to excited with the hairy mushroom causing it to expell nematocysts and to beat up the clown, causing visible damage on its side and gill. Thus happened over about 4 months until I noticed the damage. Now they are on separate sides of my new 75 and he stays with his nems.
1000059476.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back