Clownfish mouth rot???

Christopher Davis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of black occ Clownfish that have been healthy eaters etc... as of recently the two have gotten into dominance fighting, needless to say one of them sustained decent injuries and now have noticed what looks to be mouth rot. It's extremely hard to get a pic of so I will post a reference picture. The upper lip is completely gone and I can see what looks to be it's teeth, the bottom lip is going now to. It looks like my fish ran into a wall literally and there is blood and white stuff covering his mouth. The other one has backed off but seems to be pushing the injured fish away from the anemone. Im not sure what I'm dealing with here I'm thinking some kind of bacterial infection from fighting?

IMG_6183.PNG

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Infection following an injury. I'm not sure of his prognosis even if we heal the infection, but it's worth a try anyway. Place him into QT with Kanaplex. It sounds pretty severe, but it depends on how long his mouth has been this way. It didn't appear over night right?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Infection following an injury. I'm not sure of his prognosis even if we heal the infection, but it's worth a try anyway. Place him into QT with Kanaplex. It sounds pretty severe, but it depends on how long his mouth has been this way. It didn't appear over night right?

+1 A Methylene Blue bath, before being placed in QT with antibiotics, might help heal the injury: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/methylene-blue.257467/

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back