Clownfish pairing and aggression

Anand_Karat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys,

I am sure most of you have wondered about how long the aggression lasts until one clearly establishes dominance and become a female. I have been keeping a pair of Darwin clowns who got along pretty well for the first few weeks. While purchasing them I made sure that they were not of the same size so as to reduce the aggression. After about a month, one of them is clearly the bigger one, but there is no stop to all the aggression. It keeps chasing the small one all around the tank and does not let it have any food peacefully.

Anyone wanna share their experience with clowns or advice?

Attachments

• IMG_0220.mov
    51.3 MB

GeoSquid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have the most experience in this, but I've paired clowns three times so far. The main thing is making sure one is bigger than the other...which you've done. From your video, it doesn't look all that bad to me. The male can get a little beat up with fins tattered. I've had this phase last up a couple months or more. I just let it go and eventually it works itself out. I'm sure some people have had the male killed but I haven't. I have a pair of saddlebacks paired for over 2 years and the female will still chase the mail around the tank a few times a day but no more ripped up fins. I think you should be good just letting them work it out.

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 2 clowns in my DT and took them out and put them in a 20 long. my other fish now seem to have lost alot of their aggressions. the leopard wrasses are swimming in harmony along with my yellow eye kole tang and one spot fox face swim together also.
where before all of the wrasses and the tang and fox face showed alot of aggression towards each other.

Back