Clownfish setup tips needed.

RobinC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all...Wanted to try my hand at breeding clowns. They are currently kept in 1.020 salinity, 80 degree water and fed 3x daily, frozen fish frenzy/mysis/brine in mornings, and TDO x2 after. I am doing small water changes/vacuum about every 4 days. The dividers in the tank are actually very thick sponges that aren't gonna move as I wanted flow. The tube in the middle is actually airstone powered, pulling water from middle area to both outside areas. I have ordered a stronger airpump, to increase the flow through the tube, as my main concern is flow. I've added brine or rotifers nightly before lights out to stimulate plankton bloom. Lights are 7a-7p. The lights going out at 7 pm still gives them daylight through the one window, trying to simulate a dusk.
These are the tips I've discovered through some research of my own. I'm asking if anyone has anything to add that will help. 3 weeks in the setup so far. I know it's early yet, but looking for some pro tips! lol
Thanks in advance.

Clownsetup.jpg

ianw163

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
salinity might be a little low. I like to keep mines at 1.025 but 1.020 is okay.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Consistency, patience, and creating a space for them to thrive are a huge part of it. Resources like Pickles Guide to Clownfish Breeding as well as the Wilkerson book on clownfish and the Wittenrich book on breeding marine fishes have been helpful for me. Good luck!

ianw163

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This website might help you.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Some clownfish breeders (and other commercial fish and coral sellers) drop the salinity to save money on salt. I haven't seen anything saying that it will improve the chance of spawning for clownfish.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 26.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 30.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back