Clownfish species, numbers and BTAs

Raphael Dalmeida

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

I have a pair of juvenile designer clownfish and 6 BTAs in my tank (120cm x 90cm x 60cm - plenty of rock structure)

Is it possible to mix Clownfish species in a tank and have more than just a pair peacefully coexist?

Example: Pair of designer ocellaris + single skunk, or Pair of designer ocellaris + Amphiprion akindynos.

Also, similarly what about 3 ocellaris.

It's interesting I recall seeing more than a pair per anemone in the wild when snorkeling in Thailand reefs (how does it work in their natural environment for more than a pair in close quarters).

I know this has been probably asked a few times in different ways in this forum but I wasn't really able to fully answer my question.

I would love to add a different splash of color from a different anemone fish to my tank, and if there'd be other species than clownfish that hosts bta and could coexist.

Will post some photos later.

Cheers,

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dominant pair will chase all the other clowns out of all the anemones.
The other clowns will allowed to get into the anemone when there is danger around (like a hand in the tank) or at night.

OP
OP
Raphael Dalmeida

Raphael Dalmeida

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best answer I can give you is: maybe. I've seen an entire tank of clownfish cohabitating peacefully and then we have my two which killed every other clownfish in one system and then another clownfish in my tank.
Yeah sorry to hear, I'm looking for something a bit more "scientific". Most people talk about same species clownfish and adulthood triggers to aggression.

It'd be good to be able to separate the rare occasions to the "norm" and really understand if there's a situation that there's high chance of success (whether would be mixing species or harem or big tank?).

The dominant pair will chase all the other clowns out of all the anemones.
The other clowns will allowed to get into the anemone when there is danger around (like a hand in the tank) or at night.
Would this be for same species or different species ? And would you be referring this situation to what happens in the wild or in home aquarium?

I'm keen to know if there's a "formula" depending on species combination to have more than a pair of anemone fish in a tank. (Whether it's from same species, or a pair of ocellaris and a single other anemone fish).

And keen to know where it applies to adult individuals (as it seems common that problems in their coexistence arise when the fish mature).

Thanks for the input so far.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on how large your tank is. I used to raise clowns, Ocellaris and Percula and hy ridge of the two species.
I really run out of room since Corpus is such a small market. I put my very best clowns I. My DT, a 320 gal corals and anemones tank. Just Magnifica and Gigantea.
Two pairs become dominants and chased everybody else.
I had about 16 clowns in that tank. It is really strange but they pair up with another clown that is similar to them if they have a choice, as if they are racist.
I suspected that clownfish that are similar ancestry likely have similar supple body languages and likely understand each other easier. I know that cross species pairing tend to be really hard on the male.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

I have a pair of juvenile designer clownfish and 6 BTAs in my tank (120cm x 90cm x 60cm - plenty of rock structure)

Is it possible to mix Clownfish species in a tank and have more than just a pair peacefully coexist?

Example: Pair of designer ocellaris + single skunk, or Pair of designer ocellaris + Amphiprion akindynos.

It's interesting I recall seeing more than a pair per anemone in the wild when snorkeling in Thailand reefs (how does it work in their natural environment for more than a pair in close quarters).

I know this has been probably asked a few times in different ways in this forum but I wasn't really able to fully answer my question.

I would love to add a different splash of color from a different anemone fish to my tank, and if there'd be other species than clownfish that hosts bta and could coexist.

Cheers,
My female in my 125 is so mean that I know if I put another in she would kill it. She bites me everytime Im doing something in the tank. I would say possibly until they get adult size. Clowns are weird. Then on the other hand my maroon female in my other tank is the sweetest clownfish ever

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, I don't think you'll find a scientific answer because clownfish in the wild behave differently than those in captivity. And believe it or not, clownfish have personalities and moods. It's the only way I can explain why a female would kill her male -- literally out of the blue for no apparent reason (other than she simply got sick of him or he did something that pushed her over the edge).

OP
OP
Raphael Dalmeida

Raphael Dalmeida

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, I don't think you'll find a scientific answer because clownfish in the wild behave differently than those in captivity. And believe it or not, clownfish have personalities and moods. It's the only way I can explain why a female would kill her male -- literally out of the blue for no apparent reason (other than she simply got sick of him or he did something that pushed her over the edge).
I agree every animal has their personalities.
I don't really need a scientific answer per se, just wondering if I'd find someone here with a bit more experience or information than the usual.

Specially regarding the mixing of different species, if having other types of clownfish would work better than having more pairs of the same type.

Anyone here had experience with it ? Like a pair of ocellaris and a tomato clownfish ?

Cheers,

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep two trio of clowns in a 420 gal tank with 4 Magnifica anemones in the past. The three Ocellaris stays at one end and the three Pink Skunks stay at the other end of the 8 foot tank. Each group with their own anemones (2 Magnifica each).
Ocellaris and Pink Skunk are among the smallest and most docile of the clowns. I have not tried Tomatoes, Maroons or Clarkii clowns, or I will ever try to do this with other than the most docile of clowns, or less than the largest of tanks.

OP
OP
Raphael Dalmeida

Raphael Dalmeida

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep two trio of clowns in a 420 gal tank with 4 Magnifica anemones in the past. The three Ocellaris stays at one end and the three Pink Skunks stay at the other end of the 8 foot tank. Each group with their own anemones (2 Magnifica each).
Ocellaris and Pink Skunk are among the smallest and most docile of the clowns. I have not tried Tomatoes, Maroons or Clarkii clowns, or I will ever try to do this with other than the most docile of clowns, or less than the largest of tanks.
Thanks, that's the sort of info I was looking for.

Do the different trio often see each other or interact with the other group?

Also are they juvenile or adult?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Sdot, in his thread on his Magnifica, has harems of Orange Skunk and Maldives Clowns in his tank with BTA and Magnifica. Maybe he can chime in and answer some of your questions. I know that the Maldives clowns are aggressive clowns. Orange skunks are not meek and tiny clowns either.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, that's the sort of info I was looking for.

Do the different trio often see each other or interact with the other group?

Also are they juvenile or adult?
The harems had mature and juveniles. I had them together for years. 3 each with both harems spawn regularly.
This is an 8 foot 420 gal aquarium with 4 large Magnifica anemones in it. 20 years ago so I don’t have any picture. I do have pictures do the anemone dividing. I believe it was the first time somebody documented division of Magnifica on the internet. I posted on ReefCentral and Reefs.org at the time.

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @OrionN , thanks for the tag!

I don't see any aggression between the Maldives clowns and skunk clowns. They tend to stay to themselves. I will say the anemones are pretty large, so perhaps there's no need for them to fight over real estate.

In my experience, you need to add multiple clowns all at the same time... they tend to work things out. I had a breeding pair of Ocellaris clown fish... i took the chance and added 4 additional Ocellaris to the same anemone the breeding pair was in... the 1st week was tough...but after they sorted everything out....(See video below... 30 sec mark for reference)

Speaking of clownfish, Maldives clowns are extremely sensitive, in my opinion. I don't think I've ever worked this hard to keep the fish looking good. They have serious skin sensitivity issues.

Last edited:

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something that's already been eluded to, is if you plan to have multiple species, for best results, plan on having their specific host anemones. For example, since you already have BTAs and are thinking about adding ocellaris/percula, then I suggest looking for either a magnifica or gigantea anemone. Ocellaris and percula will favor their natural hosts over other anemones. That way, if you get another species like A. frenatus, they'll opt for the BTAs. A lot of times with clownfish, it's "out of sight, out of mind" so the more anemones you have, the better.

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something that's already been eluded to, is if you plan to have multiple species, for best results, plan on having their specific host anemones. For example, since you already have BTAs and are thinking about adding ocellaris/percula, then I suggest looking for either a magnifica or gigantea anemone. Ocellaris and percula will favor their natural hosts over other anemones. That way, if you get another species like A. frenatus, they'll opt for the BTAs. A lot of times with clownfish, it's "out of sight, out of mind" so the more anemones you have, the better.
That's a great point. However, I would recommend leaving those species of anemones, except for the bubble tip, on the expert list

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi guys,

Cheers,
I have mixed clowns with a total of 12 and 4 BTAs and not one will go in the nems- As long as they are happy- oh well

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a great point. However, I would recommend leaving those species of anemones, except for the bubble tip, on the expert list
And that's a great point as well. Both magnifica and gigantea should only be attempted by those hobbyists with plenty of experience with anemones.

OP
OP
Raphael Dalmeida

Raphael Dalmeida

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great info, thanks guys.

I came across a lot of topics before around huge clownfish harems and the promise of 'failure" as they mature and dwindle in numbers.

While my question I think was a bit more "tame" and less ambitious. More around the combination, that has a high likelihood for success when you have more than just a pair of anemone fish in a tank.

I gathered from the answers here, that it seems feasible if we attend to a few critical details:

-Host anemones (numbers and preference of anemonefish to specific types)

-Specific fish behaviour (not being overly aggressive and dominant - despite the natural propensity to have a dominant one)

-Tank space (not necessarily enormous but reasonable size so they can mind their own territories as much as possible)

-Anemonefish species (if combining, look for less aggressive ones such as ocellaris, percula, pink skunk?)

-Introduce the fishes together (to possibly increase chance of success)

-In general try reduce competition or their perception of competition against the other pair or individual

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

Cheers,
My pair in my 125 would kill another clown for sure. The female bits me all the time. And in my 70 where my BTAs are, my female maroon has claimed them all! She lets the male have one to himself some times. Knowing my two pairs I would never add another clown pair to either tank, bur you could have success with it

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 101 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back