Clownfish suspected internal parasite

luca5927

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I've had lots of freshwater fish in the past and a few weeks ago I decided to get into a FOWLR tank. I took one of my old 15-gallon tanks and installed a surface skimmer, powerhead, heater, and aqua clear 30. I added 15 pounds of dry rock and crushed coral (each 15 pounds). I used RODI water. I cycled the tank with Mitrobacter start XLM and pure aquarium ammonia. Currently 0ppm ammonia and nitrite, and 5ppm nitrate and 1.025 salinity. I live in Canada so all fish meds are banned. I got a clownfish that acts completely normal and is very active. A day goes by and I noticed a stringy white poop. Could this have been caused by the stress of moving him into the new tank and not a parasite at all? Also, I managed to get my hands on a bottle of Ruby reef rally pro that I used a while back on some freshwater fish. Would this treatment work on internal parasites if I soak dry pellets in it overnight? Thanks.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
It can be caused by the following:
-Stress
-The foods it eats (brine or mysis shrimp will cause the effect)
-Internal parasite or infection

Please list what food(s) you are feeding. In the event it is internal, are you able to ger praziquantel (PraziPro) ?? Also, Feeding food soaked with general cure and focus will help alleviate any internal issues ( like a laxative)

Also be aware although I have seen many similar setups as yours, you have mechanical filtration but lack chemical filtration, so be prepared to do regular water testing and water changes to maintain water quality.
Recommended foods are :

Spirulina Brine shrimp
LRS Fish Frenzy
Mysis shrimp
New Era small pellets
Formula 1 frozen and flake foods

ADD SELCON VITAMINS TO FOODS 2-3x PER WEEK AND ON ALTERNATING DAYS ADD GARLIC EXTRACT TO THE FOODS FOR IMMUNE SYSTEM HEALTH

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

luca5927

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently, I am feeling PE 1mm pellets with mysis in them. The only way I can get any medications is from a vet, and the one around me doesn't know what they are doing (I took my goldfish there once for mouth fungus and it came back with many ripped off scales and torn fins, they gave an ointment that the fish would wipe off right away, needless to say, the fish was worse off and the medication did nothing). And they charge $100 minimum plus more for everything else. In my filter, I have carbon for chemical filtration and I rely on the rocks and substrate for biological. I am willing to go to the vet if it is my last option but would prefer not to. I test the water every day and do 20-25% water changes weekly.

Last edited:

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hopefully just stress,and diet,try adding mentioned above to diet,keep us posted,best wishes :)

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Subarody

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if you’re still dealing with a possible internal parasite but I just went through the same thing with my two clowns. White stringy poo, very fast laboured breathing, hiding in the rocks more and loss of interest in food. Dosed prazi pro in the display tank and they’ve been looking great for over a month. I ordered some from BRS and paid the pricey shipping cost to get it here in Canada. Picked up a couple other things at the same time. Hope you’re clown’s okay.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 32 34.8%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 51 55.4%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back