Clowns in the corner

Queenbee73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey y’all! I see a lot of clowns in the corner discussions, but I still need help.
I have 2 clowns that are about a year old. They have always been in a 20 gallon. They have always slept in a corner, then stopped coming out of the corner at all so this week they were moved to a 55 gallon tank and loved it … swimming all around all day. Due to problems with other fish after 3 days , the poor things had to move back to the 20 until I figure out what to do. The thing is - they are back in the corner and won’t come out. Why will they not move around in the smaller tank? I would think it would be the other way around. Any info is appreciated!

Peter Houde

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go ahead and stick your finger in the tank. They'll come out of the corner just to bite you. When they get big it's going to hurt. Meanest fish in the tank. What's more, after years of peaceful coexistence, the buggers suddenly discovered that purple frilly gorgonians are tasty. Went through one like a buzz saw in one day.

Last edited:

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns are just odd, they probably moved around in the other tank looking for something to “host” them. Mine hover above an empty shell all the time thats “hosting” them. Ask long as they are eating you should be good :)

liddojunior

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your small tank contents? Light? Wavemaker? Pumps?

Clowns will host anything looking for that sense of safety. Without anything to host they tend to go host the corner of a tank, usually the back wall corners.

AND/OR the flow is high and it’s exhausting to swim in the current. If you made changes to lighting they could want to hide from brighter areas.

Clowns are goofy and will pick a spot and try to not venture far. But if they aren’t leaving even for food, it’s probably something making them feel insecure.

george9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing to worry about unless they won't come out for food. Mine hang in the back right corner together but if I were to drop food on the other side of the tank, they dart over to it and quickly back 'home' to their side lol

mues

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clowns only swim around when they're looking for food. Otherwise, they are corner fish as well, and they have a 5ft display tank to venture in.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have clowns in a 40 breeder for several years, they always stay in their corner. They will venture out once in a while, but they like their corner. I would just let them be.

OP
OP
Q

Queenbee73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your small tank contents? Light? Wavemaker? Pumps?

Clowns will host anything looking for that sense of safety. Without anything to host they tend to go host the corner of a tank, usually the back wall corners.

AND/OR the flow is high and it’s exhausting to swim in the current. If you made changes to lighting they could want to hide from brighter areas.

Clowns are goofy and will pick a spot and try to not venture far. But if they aren’t leaving even for food, it’s probably something making them feel insecure.
Ooo ok, that makes sense. I will change those now and see what happens!
Thanks !!!!

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey y’all! I see a lot of clowns in the corner discussions, but I still need help.
I have 2 clowns that are about a year old. They have always been in a 20 gallon. They have always slept in a corner, then stopped coming out of the corner at all so this week they were moved to a 55 gallon tank and loved it … swimming all around all day. Due to problems with other fish after 3 days , the poor things had to move back to the 20 until I figure out what to do. The thing is - they are back in the corner and won’t come out. Why will they not move around in the smaller tank? I would think it would be the other way around. Any info is appreciated!
They host an area and seldom venture far from home. They are usually quite the homebody.

mues

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once or twice a month mine even host the inside of the overflow box and make me have to tear half of it out to save them

betareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspect I'll get flack for even asking this, but, why do many reefers turn the meaning of "host" around? It's the anemone that hosts the clowns, not the clowns that host the anemone.

host verb​

to provide the space and other things necessary for a special event:

liddojunior

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspect I'll get flack for even asking this, but, why do many reefers turn the meaning of "host" around? It's the anemone that hosts the clowns, not the clowns that host the anemone.

host verb​

to provide the space and other things necessary for a special event:
You’re not going to say the shell or rock or corner of tank is hosting the clownfish. People are saying the clownfish is trying to make something host them.

It’s just shorter and easier to say the clownfish is hosting the corner because they are the decider.

The point is the message needs to be conveyed and it’s easier to talk about clownfish decisions rather decisions that a rock can’t make.

Why is my aquarium corner hosting my clownfish makes less sense when asking questions

betareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re not going to say the shell or rock or corner of tank is hosting the clownfish. People are saying the clownfish is trying to make something host them.

It’s just shorter and easier to say the clownfish is hosting the corner because they are the decider.

The point is the message needs to be conveyed and it’s easier to talk about clownfish decisions rather decisions that a rock can’t make.

Why is my aquarium corner hosting my clownfish makes less sense when asking questions

I see. Because the original 'normal' behaviour, is for the clowns to be associated withanemones, I have always thought of it as the anemone being the host, and the anemone hosts the clowns, who are it's guests.

As for tank corners etc, I would just say the have decided to hang around, or live, in the corner :) i.e. there is no "hosting" going on

liddojunior

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see. Because the original 'normal' behaviour, is for the clowns to be associated withanemones, I have always thought of it as the anemone being the host, and the anemone hosts the clowns, who are it's guests.

As for tank corners etc, I would just say the have decided to hang around, or live, in the corner :)

You are correct the anemone is the host. But because the hobby is more concerned about their fish behaviour, they are made the primary subject doing the actions when talked about. It’s implied that we know the nem is the host.

betareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are correct the anemone is the host. But because the hobby is more concerned about their fish behaviour, they are made the primary subject doing the actions when talked about. It’s implied that we know the nem is the host.

Don't worry, I'll get used to it ;) :)

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 41 31.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 47 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.8%
Back