CLUB ZOA looking for advice

Buford25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
So I have decided to start a zoa garden! Looking for some advice.

I recently purchased 3 zoa frags from WWC to try and start a zoa garden, due to one of of the frags I purchased (non zoa) getting sold WWC gave me four extra frags of zoas. Awesome I know!! That was very generous of them and I am very greatful. However, here is the thing. I placed them all on the frag plugs on a very porous rock I have, favorite rock in the tank. I would like to plumb a small frag tank to the main display at some point in time. Here is my question to you all.

1) should I leave them on the frags in the main display and let them grow out? I do not mind seeing the plugs. When they grow plumb a frag tank in and frag them to place them in a frag tank.

2) plumb the frag tank now let them grow out in the frag tank a bit and then place them in the main display off off the plugs? Keep the original frags on the plugs and continue to let them grow for swaps or trades?

3) Not plumb a frag tank at all and see what happens in the main display?

4) Any other suggestions you may have?

Types of zoa frags
-Mandarin
-Sweet tart
-Purple monster
-Eagle eyes
-Bob marleys
-Twizzlers
-Whamm watermelons

Thanks for the help!

OP
OP
Buford25

Buford25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picture so far. Sorry for how bad it is for some reason the iPhone lens doesn't really filter the blue light very well

IMG_0982.JPG

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) should I leave them on the frags in the main display and let them grow out? I do not mind seeing the plugs. When they grow plumb a frag tank in and frag them to place them in a frag tank.

2) plumb the frag tank now let them grow out in the frag tank a bit and then place them in the main display off off the plugs? Keep the original frags on the plugs and continue to let them grow for swaps or trades?

3) Not plumb a frag tank at all and see what happens in the main display?

4) Any other suggestions you may have?

Sorry, but all the questions above are so personal.
Everyone here could give you different answers accordingly to their ideas.
I think you should search more if you have any doubt, or just do what you would like.
They would all work fine, if built correctly.
Grandis.

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are planning a frag tank this is what i would do since i do it. Anytime i get a new zoa frag i grow it out until it starts spilling over the sides. Then i frag it up as much as possible. Then i take one of those frags and place it in my display tank and place the others in the frag tank to grow out more and eventually sell. Just an idea.

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are planning a frag tank this is what i would do since i do it. Anytime i get a new zoa frag i grow it out until it starts spilling over the sides. Then i frag it up as much as possible. Then i take one of those frags and place it in my display tank and place the others in the frag tank to grow out more and eventually sell. Just an idea.
That's exactly what i do as well. You may as well get the frag tank going, there will be many more in your future.

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also keep track of the names from the start. Write them down if you have to. Even the people that say they can't care less about the names, eventually come back looking for the names. It is useful for collectors, if I'm looking for bowsers i don't want to waste time looking at candy apple reds or pinks etc. It's the people who are too lazy to find the right name and just make up their own for all these well known zoas, that give the name game a bad rap.

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also keep track of the names from the start. Write them down if you have to. Even the people that say they can't care less about the names, eventually come back looking for the names. It is useful for collectors, if I'm looking for bowsers i don't want to waste time looking at candy apple reds or pinks etc. It's the people who are too lazy to find the right name and just make up their own for all these well known zoas, that give the name game a bad rap.

Hahahaha, that is so funny you mentioned that. When i go to a swap i always come home with 10 different zoas so i ask the vendor to write the name of the zoa right on the container and when i get home i add them to my notebook. Only problem is, i lost the freaking notebook! I was so mad!

OP
OP
Buford25

Buford25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone for the tips! I found a small 20x20x8 advanced acrylic frag tank for 80 buck I may pick up this weekend. I am sorry it too so long to respond to you all I never got alerted that I had replys on my R2R account. Looks like I have a project in my future! Also plumbing into my main tank would I be able to just run another drain directly into my sump. Add another small return pump and call it a day. That seems the easiest way to me without losing head pressure to my main tank.

OP
OP
Buford25

Buford25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This would be my first frag tank since being in the hobby about four years. My goal is to eventually attend swaps and possibly sell. I know that is awhile away. I feel that would be something to keep busy in the free time and just have fun with.

OP
OP
Buford25

Buford25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's exactly what i do as well. You may as well get the frag tank going, there will be many more in your future.

This is true. I wasn't planning on recovering seven frags. I was going to start small and take it from there. There were already more in this instance so I'm more than positive there will be plenty more in the future

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back