Cobweb like spongey thing? Should I get rid of it?

Seabiscuit & Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have experience with this stuff?

About 3 days ago I noticed this white cobweb looking stuff growing on one area of a certain rock, since then it has spread to almost 1/3 of the rock. Started out real thin and loose, pretty unnoticeable, but all of a sudden it has started getting thicker and more solid seeming while also creeping along the inner areas of it's host coral. Also has developed little spots that look like worm or polyp holes?

I've been trying to ID it and determine whether it's friendly and won't overtake my whole tank, or if I need to take the whole rock out already.

My first thought was algae but now leaning closer to some sort of sponge?? Husband thinks it's a disease and wants it gone, what should we do?

The white coating on parts of these are what I'm looking at:
37F49A6D-248C-4212-B1E8-9C9AADC94A6E.jpeg

89AA6A98-576F-471D-A1B9-AF7351089AA5.jpeg
6EE8AA53-E94F-4417-9069-93C76939F9F9.jpeg

OP
OP
Seabiscuit & Friends

Seabiscuit & Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took out that rock yesterday but it looked like some of that white stuff was left floating in the water... now this new rock is growing the stuff too!! Should I be worried??
image.jpg
image.jpg

madmarks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like what people call 'a fast growing sponge'. There is a previous forum article on a similar situation to yours. Unfortunately, the resolution was to scrape it off while sucking it up with a vacuum.

There are also other articles on this if you do a Google search for 'fast growing white sponge'.

Here is the link:

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 47.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.1%
Back