Collaborative generator and backup thread - for power outages ect.

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured it would be good to start a thread to combine our knowledge together to pass on the best information on how to PROPERLY backup our systems.

I learned the proper way to hook up a generator in the most safe and efficient way possible from reading the net and talking to a few electrician buddies.

I will try and find the online sources I used when I have more time (getting ready for my Tat appt and a big trade order coming in from CC :) )

I bought a Reliance Transfer Switch kit from lowe's ($279). I had it hardwired by my electrician with a plug and box on the outside of my house. So all I have to do is pull the generator out of the shed/garage and use the big 20a plug, jumper cable and plug it into the generator and the box.

It cost me ~ $800 for everything, including the generator. I also bought the generator at Lowe's. $429

2 circuits will be for the fish tank, one will be for the living room (gotta have tv when the power is out - lol), and another for the refridgerator.

I'm having a certified electrician hook this up. It is a little too complicated for me. I do 90% of my own stuff, but I know when to pay someone, and this is the time :)

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sikryd

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't connect your generator directly to your home's wiring.
Connecting a portable electric generator directly to your household wiring can be deadly. A generator that is directly connected to your home's wiring can 'backfeed' into the power lines connected to your home.
Utility transformers can then increase this lower electrical voltage to thousands of volts. That's more than enough to kill a utility lineman making outage repairs many miles away. You could also cause expensive damage to utility equipment and your generator.
If you wish to hard-wire a generator to your home, it should be installed by a licensed electrician with an approved cut-off switch that will automatically disconnect the home from the power grid when the generator is being used. Please check with your local utility company before installing a hard-wired generator.

Don't plug a portable generator into an electrical outlet in your home or garage.
If a generator is plugged into your home's electrical circuits, it can still 'backfeed' power into the utility company lines, which can injure or kill utility workers fixing on the downed power lines.
The correct way to use a generator is to connect a heavy-duty, outdoor-rated power cord to the generator. Appliances can then be connected to the power cord.
Make sure that the outdoor-rated power cord has a sufficient wire gauge to handle the electrical load.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I bought a Generac 6500 watt electric start and a 6 circuit transfer switch similar to yours several years ago.
I have my generator outside on the far end of my house, stting on a concrete pad.
Chained down so it doesn't grow legs.
I built a dog house type shelter over it to protect it and conceal it.
When the power goes out I walk out there, tip over the dog house, push the starter button and then go inside a flip the 6 switches and have power to both my tanks and about 3/4 of my house. Enough to be very warm and comfortable.
The transfer switch is the only way to go. Safe for me and everyone else.

holdyourlight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is perfect timing

i am having an electrician come over while my main tank is down to put it on its own circuit

might as well have some other stuff done keep the info coming!

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
This is perfect timing

i am having an electrician come over while my main tank is down to put it on its own circuit

might as well have some other stuff done keep the info coming!

This might be the perfect time for you to pick up the transfer switch and have him wire it into the house circuit panel.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is a great thread. Ma and the wife was just discussing this last night!

Keiki

AKA LACY ON RC
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We got very lucky when we bought our house it already had the panel outside with the plug for the generator.

akabryanhall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a giant power generating hamster wheel outside our house. When the power goes out, I hop in it and my wife hangs a picture of the my miami chalice in front of me just out of reach and away I go.

benny z

coral care giver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
guardian natural gas auto-switching house generator for the win.

cobraz

Zoo Hunter
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to point out some info - for those setup a generator - or doing it yourself. For shorten discussion - let's assume everything is installed correctly.
Good rules to follow so - no one gets hurt.. but these are my opinion only and I do not say it's law... (had to say that).

When power loss happens do the following:

1.) Turn off main circuit breaker in main panel - should be at top and say 100 or 200.
This is the service that runs to the street.

2.) Flip the switches on your Transfer box (The box you installed with 6-8 or 10 circuits) from Line to Gen (Generator).

3.) Start up your Generator with no cords attached at this time. This way no feed is being given in any direction - just in-case.

4.) Connect one end of cord to Generator and the other end to the House outlet you installed that goes to your Transfer switch box.

Now your house is under load from the Generator.

If and when the power comes on - we reverse these steps.

1.) Disconnect the one end of cord to Generator and the other end to the House outlet you installed that goes to your Transfer switch box.

2.) Turn off the Generator with no cords attached at this time. This way no feed is being given in any direction - just in-case.

3.) Flip the switches on your Transfer box (The box you installed with 6-8 or 10 circuits) from Gen to Line (House).

4.) Turn on main circuit breaker in main panel - should be at top and say 100 or 200.
This is the service that runs to the street.

Always wait 30 minutes or so before re-hook up - just in-case the power is coming on and off as they are doing repairs to the lines.

Attachments

• 100301_lg.jpg
    100301_lg.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Back