Combine stability and microbacter7

son2691994

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, i’m new to marine. Can i start cycle by stability and maintain by microbac7 ? Or i can start cycle by both of them ? Im not sure that they wont fight each other

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, i’m new to marine. Can i start cycle by stability and maintain by microbac7 ? Or i can start cycle by both of them ? Im not sure that they wont fight each other
I am no chemist, but Stability is a mix of 4 different bacteria strains, two of which are nitrifying (third eats waste and the fourth eats nitrate). I would think they would be fine together, with 7 actually having some of the same bacteria as Stability.

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and welcome to R2R!

There's probably a dozen or more ways to cycle a tank.

The two products you mentioned would be fine to use together, but both those products only contain the beneficial bacteria that process nitrogenous waste. In addition to the bacteria (which would populate naturally over time without the bottled bacteria (the bottled bacteria make the process go faster)) you also need a source of ammonia for them to "feed" on. This source of ammonia can come from a hardy live fish or crab (no longer recommended by many reefers), a a dead piece of shrimp from the seafood market or grocery store (does not smell pleasant at all!), or a bottle ammonium chloride.

You can use bottled ammonium chloride and your bottles of bacterial to "fishless cycle" your tank.

Do a little searching on "fishless cycling", I think it would help you.

Here's a link to Dr. Tim's Aquatics who has bottled ammonia and bottled bacteria for fishless cycling a tank, I found this to be helpful when I cycled my tanks recently:

https://www.drtimsaquatics.com/resources/fishless-cycling/

Here's a short video on fishless cycling that may also help:

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used fritz turbo 900 and MB7 but I cheated and added a tray of rock rubble from an established sump. I added coral after week one and first fish week two. I highly recomend some live rock or rubble if you have access to it.
EDIT: this was a dry rock bare bottom start up.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 158 74.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 8.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 34 16.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back