combining power bricks

cougercruiser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have four AC/DC power bricks with the below input/output. Is there any way to combine all of them into one power supply to reduce the number of power supply bricks?

Input: 100-240v 50/60hz 1.2A
Output: 24v 1.5A 36W

Last edited:

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did this to power multiple aquariums, cabinet is mounted under the stairs, which is behind aquariums.

Attachments

• IMG_3596.jpeg
    IMG_3596.jpeg
    154.1 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_3591.jpeg
    IMG_3591.jpeg
    203.4 KB · Views: 146

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
List of Materials, on CNAweb I don’t see the Cabinet I used. I’d call them to see if it’s still available. “Part # 604968 23.5“ H x 23.5“ W x 6” D.“ Cabinet will hold up to six of the power supplies, I will eventually need a cooling fan for the cabinet. Also note I’m 12Vdc

CNAweb 19” 12U Slim SoHo Wall Mount Network Cabinet. (eBay)

DC 12V 30A Power Supply 360W Universal Regulated Switching AC to DC Converter AC110V/220V (SMPS) Transformer Driver Adapter for LED Strip Light. (Amazon)

Jingchengmei 2 Pack 1U Metal Disassembled Blank Panel 1U Rack Mount Spacer for 19in Server Rack Enclosure or Network Cabinet, Black (ABPA2PC) (Amazon)

MAHDPRO Desk Grommet 2 Inch (50 mm) Pack of 5-Black ABS Plastic Cable Hole Cover. (Amazon)

1/2” x 1/2” X 1/2” x 48” Aluminum “U” Channel, Twelve 3M x 6 Stainless Steel Machine Screws. (ACE Hardware)

18 AWG DC Power Pigtail Cable, 2.1mm x 5.5mm Barrel Plug Wire Male Connectors for CCTV Security Camera and Led Lighting Power Adapter by SIM&NAT, Pack of 10. (Amazon)

Rack Mount Power Strips, Heavy Duty Long Power Strip Surge Protector PDU with 6FT Cord for Network Data Center Workbench, 8 Outlets Wide-Spaced, 15A/125V, 160 Joules. (Amazon)

FIRMERST 1875W 15A Extension Cord 2 Feet 14/3 Flat Plug Black, Pack of 2 (Amazon)

Last edited:
OP
OP
cougercruiser

cougercruiser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be able to replace with a single 24v power brick that is rated at least 144w/6a.
I have an extra Radion power brick with an output of 36v 6.1a 219.6w MAX. The problem is finding a female DC multi outlet that is long enough and capable of withstanding more than 12v.

OP
OP
cougercruiser

cougercruiser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did this to power multiple aquariums, cabinet is mounted under the stairs, which is behind aquariums.
This is cool. Albeit, I don't have the type of room for this. I am attempting to house everything within my sump using a Deluxe Mini Aquarium Controller Board. Do the power bricks you're using need to be housed on a metal fixture like the one in your picture? Also, in terms of wiring to the bricks, is it anything special or just some Female DC cords that you spliced and wired to the brick?

Connor At CoralVue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is exactly what the Hydros Kraken would do.

@cougercruiser, that would be exactly correct. Not available to the masses yet, but we are releasing the Kraken VERY soon!

The HYDROS Kraken has 8x RED FORCE Ports. These ports provide 24v DC Power, up to 10 amps per port, 480Watts/20 amps total. You will be able to eliminate 8 power bricks, going straight to the HYDROS Kraken via the proper size barrel connector. The Industrial Grade MeanWell Power supply with distribute all the power needed....and then we battery back up all of that! :)

KrakenIllustration.jpg

OP
OP
cougercruiser

cougercruiser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@cougercruiser, that would be exactly correct. Not available to the masses yet, but we are releasing the Kraken VERY soon!

The HYDROS Kraken has 8x RED FORCE Ports. These ports provide 24v DC Power, up to 10 amps per port, 480Watts/20 amps total. You will be able to eliminate 8 power bricks, going straight to the HYDROS Kraken via the proper size barrel connector. The Industrial Grade MeanWell Power supply with distribute all the power needed....and then we battery back up all of that! :)

KrakenIllustration.jpg
So let me get this straight, the Kraken's 9.5 x 4.75 x 3.2 footprint will also include/require one large 24V “super brick”? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of reducing bricks? For some reason I was under the impression that Hydros had managed to fit everything into the controller. Their website doesn't specify the dimensions of the "Large 24v Super Brick" but based on the picture from their website it's certainly bigger than the Kraken's footprint.

1697646168845.png

Connor At CoralVue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So let me get this straight, the Kraken's 9.5 x 4.75 x 3.2 footprint will also include/require one large 24V “super brick”? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of reducing bricks? For some reason I was under the impression that Hydros had managed to fit everything into the controller. Their website doesn't specify the dimensions of the "Large 24v Super Brick" but based on the picture from their website it's certainly bigger than the Kraken's footprint.

1697646168845.png

A brick will still be needed to supply power, in this case it is a industrial grade MeanWell, monster of a unit. Yes it has size... and weight, however it is a monolithic PSU that will eliminate eight other power supply units. As well, this is IP67 rated and a 7-year manufacturer warranty from MeanWell.

I see what you mean, but I will trade one for eight any day, let alone waterproof, cable management, Hydros Control and monitoring, and of course battery backup.

Another note, this is not just backing up power to the Force Ports, but also 4x Drive Ports on the Kraken, as well as any other Hydros Controls in the collective via command bus.... On top of being a redundant brain itself. So many redundancies.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is cool. Albeit, I don't have the type of room for this. I am attempting to house everything within my sump using a Deluxe Mini Aquarium Controller Board. Do the power bricks you're using need to be housed on a metal fixture like the one in your picture? Also, in terms of wiring to the bricks, is it anything special or just some Female DC cords that you spliced and wired to the brick?
I super cautious about preventing an electrical fire or any fire. Since it’s under my Wood Basement Steps I put it in a cabinet. Also I want ed a neat set up that would hold up to six power Supplies. The Cables are for Pig Tails, to form a movable connection to longer cables. I think the 24Vdc takes a different connector. BTW, a large power supply is going to have a fan on it, not sure how long it would last if exposed to salty air.

Last edited:

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I super cautious about preventing an electrical fire or any fire. Since it’s under my Wood Basement Steps I put it in a cabinet. Also I want ed a neat set up that would hold up to six power Supplies. The Cables are for Pig Tails, to form a movable connection to longer cables. I think the 24Vdc takes a different connector. BTW, a large power supply is going to have a fan on it, not sure how long it would last if exposed to salty air.

You can buy passively cooled large power bricks (commonly for LED drives) - the surface temperatures get quite toasty, but they're pretty common. The Hydros picture above shows one ^

This is apparently becoming a thing, since I just made a variant myself: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/tired-of-ac-bricks-try-the-dcbuddy.1009642/ - I used two supplies ORed together for redundancy though. And two auxiliary rails for powering the other stuff.

OP
OP
cougercruiser

cougercruiser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A brick will still be needed to supply power, in this case it is a industrial grade MeanWell, monster of a unit. Yes it has size... and weight, however it is a monolithic PSU that will eliminate eight other power supply units. As well, this is IP67 rated and a 7-year manufacturer warranty from MeanWell.

I see what you mean, but I will trade one for eight any day, let alone waterproof, cable management, Hydros Control and monitoring, and of course battery backup.

Another note, this is not just backing up power to the Force Ports, but also 4x Drive Ports on the Kraken, as well as any other Hydros Controls in the collective via command bus.... On top of being a redundant brain itself. So many redundancies.
Please don't take this response the wrong way, I'm just stating facts. My power brick for the below input/output measures 4.5 X 2 X 1.25. If put eight of them next to one another I would still have less footprint than the Kraken and industrial grade meanwell power brick combined. Moreover, if the devices being used are already Bluetooth/WIFI enabled, it hard to justify the additional cost of the Kraken unless you really are a heavy user of Hydros equipment and want all the bells and whistles .

Input: 100-240v 50/60hz 1.2A
Output: 24v 1.5A 36W

OP
OP
cougercruiser

cougercruiser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can buy passively cooled large power bricks (commonly for LED drives) - the surface temperatures get quite toasty, but they're pretty common. The Hydros picture above shows one ^

This is apparently becoming a thing, since I just made a variant myself: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/tired-of-ac-bricks-try-the-dcbuddy.1009642/ - I used two supplies ORed together for redundancy though. And two auxiliary rails for powering the other stuff.
I've been eyeballing your thread. I wish you had plans to commercialize your device.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked at the Mean Well’s higher wattage units. 90C “194F” No thanks, for using that Power Supply. It would have to be remote, as it would overheat my Aquariums, if it were in the cabinet, or on the back. Wouldn’t trust it next to wood. Also lowest voltage is 24Vdc on a constant voltage setting. BTW on the 12Vdc 5.1 x 2.1mm Jacks, you can get really long cables. Only have to do a lot of research to find the heavier wire cables but they are out there.

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked at the Mean Well’s higher wattage units. 90C “194F” No thanks, for using that Power Supply. It would have to be remote, as it would overheat my Aquariums, if it were in the cabinet, or on the back. Wouldn’t trust it next to wood. Also lowest voltage is 24Vdc on a constant voltage setting. BTW on the 12Vdc 5.1 x 2.1mm Jacks, you can get really long cables. Only have to do a lot of research to find the heavier wire cables but they are out there.

This is the price you pay for a fully sealed and potted design - however in an open air environment case temperature doesn't get nearly that high (40C is not unusual). I've been using the sealed designs for years and they're much more reliable than the usual cheap adapters most products come with.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use these these a lot and they don’t get super hot.. you can basically run anything you want off this if you’re not scared to cut the plugs and direct wire stuff… I mean you could actually make a plug kit and put how ever many outputs you want on it…

Attachments

• IMG_1620.png
    IMG_1620.png
    373.9 KB · Views: 110

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 51 34.7%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 38 25.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 28 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back