complete Nube question about pH.

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a little confused about how pH works with respect to reef aquariums. Distilled water and regular water/Ro-di water or distilled water would have a pH of 7.0; and saltwater has a range from 7.5 to 8.4. that's just according to the information I'm getting from ChatGPT4. of course I'm not depending on ChatGPT4. I've got the reef forums. thanks guys! anyway so we need for our reefs pH between 8.1 and 8.4. Does that level of ph alkalinity occur based on getting the correct specific gravity and or correct amount of sea salt into our mix? Thanks.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the salt adds "stuff" that will bring up the ph. Also the sand and rocks we use help buffer it too. Co2 plays a big roll in ph both from the source water and air in the room around the tank. I am not a chemist hence the stuff comment. I really can't go into more than the basics but a lot can affect the ph levels in the aquarium.

OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, it looks like my pH might be around 8.0

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 7

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, it looks like my pH might be around 8.0
Thats not bad. Though api tests can be.....off I guess is the best way to say it. Api showed 7.4 on my tank and I freaked out. I purchased a Hannah hand held with replaceable probe. I have tested with that at different times in the day I get 7.8-9 in the "morning", 8.0-1 at noon time, and 8.1-2 at peak light around 6pm. Api shows low 7.4 and high 7.8.

esquare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a general statement, one of the biggest contributors to PH level in our home tanks will be the concentration of CO2, as previously mentioned. Today's modern home construction results in tightly sealed houses that don't do a good job of exchanging fresh air with the outside. Therefore, CO2 tends to build up in the house and get mixed with the tank water which has a lowering effect on the PH (I am not a chemist either so can't go into the hydrogen exchange etc). If your PH stays around 8 you should be good. If it starts dropping our you want to keep it higher there are steps you can take like running a airline connected to your protein skimmer to the outside or dosing Limewater/Kalk to make up your Alkalinity/Calcium consumption.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back