Completely Random Single Death?

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Swimming into the powerheads is a typical "new tank" syndrome, but it could have been flukes in the gills

Never knew that behavior happens when in new tanks. I was thinking Velvet, but, the other clown would be dead by now.

OP
OP
kayla s

kayla s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should always QT.

I have a pair of Ocellaris in QT right now that I purchased about 1 month ago. Just observation; no treatment. They seem fine. But they will not make it to my main display until after the new year. I kept a puffer with ich in QT from October '17. he didn't make it to my DT until May.

Would so rather be safe than sorry.
Good gracious, 6-8 months in QT? I didn’t realize it was that long. I definitely don’t have the set up for that, or the electric bill. But I do understand it is very important.. my goal was to simply have 3 fish, ever, but I suppose I should’ve QT’d anyway.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one more shot, because it’s almost like she posed!

BF41F9CC-588D-4CD4-A8C7-162F465C6B44.jpeg

Yeah... I see white spots. It also looks like it has a bit of a haze around it. Add to that, swimming into water flow (power heads) and that he was in seclusion before he died, I am inclined to think disease is the issue.

As stated previously, wait on HumbleFish's response.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good gracious, 6-8 months in QT? I didn’t realize it was that long. I definitely don’t have the set up for that, or the electric bill. But I do understand it is very important.. my goal was to simply have 3 fish, ever, but I suppose I should’ve QT’d anyway.

Typically, you don't have to wait that long. I was building a new DT and waited so I could put the puffer in there. But typically, I'll observe in QT for 90 days... better safe than sorry.

OP
OP
kayla s

kayla s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically, you don't have to wait that long. I was building a new DT and waited so I could put the puffer in there. But typically, I'll observe in QT for 90 days... better safe than sorry.
I’m assuming but want to make sure that the QT stank would have to be cycled like a regular display tank, and left running empty 24/7? Not a pop up event right before you get new fish? (I only do maybe once a year)

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m assuming but want to make sure that the QT stank would have to be cycled like a regular display tank, and left running empty 24/7? Not a pop up event right before you get new fish? (I only do maybe once a year)

Yes... I set up my QT just like any other tank.

And it is just a tank with a hang on back filter. No substrate or live rock. Just a few pieces of scrap PVC for hiding places.

Oh... and I also have chato in there for nutrient export. Basically it's a big refugium.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The usual response to clownfish is to be actively looking for symptoms of Brooklynella. Early Brook can present like Ich or velvet. The problem is that velvet and bacterial infections are rampant in the industry. And they are not always showing the classical symptoms. More important than ever to QT everything "wet" going into your tank.

OP
OP
kayla s

kayla s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The usual response to clownfish is to be actively looking for symptoms of Brooklynella. Early Brook can present like Ich or velvet. The problem is that velvet and bacterial infections are rampant in the industry. And they are not always showing the classical symptoms. More important than ever to QT everything "wet" going into your tank.
Hate to hear that about the industry! I’ll start doing some research on Brooklynella. Thank you! Seeming to me like freshwater tanks is more my calling.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your QT doesn't have to be a tank. In a pinch you can use a rubbermaid container. It's just harder to "watch" the fish in one of those containers. A hospital QT can be set up and used immediately using Dr. Tim's/Biospira soaked filter pads and soaked filter ceramic media. Also a good idea to use a foam bubble filter that has been soaked. Soak all of the pads, ceramic media, bubble foam in a bowl for at least a couple of hours. Pour the Dr. Tim's/Biospira into the QT tank after soaking. Add a Seachem Ammonia Alert Badge, heater and you are ready to help your fish in a hurry.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

RTab619

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There might be a local vendor who quarantines or at least medicates before selling if you can't set up a QT tank. I believe there are a few online vendors who do.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never knew that behavior happens when in new tanks. I was thinking Velvet, but, the other clown would be dead by now.

Often times when a fish is introduced to a new tank (clowns are notorious for it) they swim rapidly all over and in the current of a power head. Some people called it "new tank syndrome"

Idk if its proven, but I am not in any way saying that's the deal here. Theres obviously an issue.

OP
OP
kayla s

kayla s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Often times when a fish is introduced to a new tank (clowns are notorious for it) they swim rapidly all over and in the current of a power head. Some people called it "new tank syndrome"

Idk if its proven, but I am not in any way saying that's the deal here. Theres obviously an issue.
Both of mine (but the deceased male moreso) would “ride” the powerhead currents, swimming close and then floating back, swimming close... I thought this was playful! Now thinking this could’ve been the first warning.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss.. don’t beat yourself up to bad as marine fish have a rather high mortality rate and sometimes just don’t make it despite your best efforts. One of my clowns that I have had for a few years does all kind of strange things and just loves to ride powerhead currents so that’s not necessarily a indication of disease.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both of mine (but the deceased male moreso) would “ride” the powerhead currents, swimming close and then floating back, swimming close... I thought this was playful! Now thinking this could’ve been the first warning.

If prolonged, it's a tell tale sign of trouble getting oxygen, possibly velvet attacking the gills or flukes. Like I said, @Humblefish is the guy to listen to always.

OP
OP
kayla s

kayla s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If prolonged, it's a tell tale sign of trouble getting oxygen, possibly velvet attacking the gills or flukes. Like I said, @Humblefish is the guy to listen to always.
I’m agreeing with you, Humble gave me a great link for internal parasites and reference to check out, I’m looking for his suggested symptoms as well, but haven’t seen the tell tale sign of white poop yet.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can intestinal parasites be fatal?

True internal parasites are flagellates (like velvet), and are a lot more virulent than intestinal worms (e.g. tapeworms, nematodes). Unexplained weight loss (or a pinched stomach) without seeing white stringy poop is actually a bad thing, because that's more likely a symptom of internal parasites. At least when you see the white stringy poo, you know you are more likely to be dealing with intestinal worms, and those are more treatable (with praziquantel or fenbendazole.)

Swimming into the flow of a powerhead is a classic symptom of velvet: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/velvet-amyloodinium-ocellatum.217570/

OP
OP
kayla s

kayla s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True internal parasites are flagellates (like velvet), and are a lot more virulent than intestinal worms (e.g. tapeworms, nematodes). Unexplained weight loss (or a pinched stomach) without seeing white stringy poop is actually a bad thing, because that's more likely a symptom of internal parasites. At least when you see the white stringy poo, you know you are more likely to be dealing with intestinal worms, and those are more treatable (with praziquantel or fenbendazole.)

Swimming into the flow of a powerhead is a classic symptom of velvet: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/velvet-amyloodinium-ocellatum.217570/
Looking bleak, my friends.
Thank you for so much information, it’s greatly appreciated. I’ve began the search for Chloroquine phosphate, but it seems like it’ll have to be shipped, which is most likely bad news for the fish. The pictures in the article really helped in reference the shots I uploaded today of the remaining clown. Thank you again.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Good pics = good advice.
Fish appears to have velvet and a bacterial infection affecting its'; skin. Swimming in the power heads was a version of relief from irritation it was experiencing. Are you able to get a second opinion on water parameters from friend or pet store?
Inverts look healthy which points to fish and/or condition on fish. It is not necessarily anything you did wrong but may be the health of the fish from the store where you purchased them. PLEASE TELL ME/US YOU DID NOT GET THEM FROM A PETCO?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Can intestinal parasites be fatal?
aLL PARASITES IF LEFT UNTREATED OR DISCOVERED TOO LATE CAN BE FATAL

Back