Concentration tropic marin trace

Bakki

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Does anyone know the recommended dosing of tropic marin a and k based if calc/alk consumption?

Their All-for-reef contains all elements which assumes a relation between calc consumption and consumption of trace elements. I have not been able to find dosing instructions for trace a and k based off this relationship.

Thanks for any help.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Does anyone know the recommended dosing of tropic marin a and k based if calc/alk consumption?

Their All-for-reef contains all elements which assumes a relation between calc consumption and consumption of trace elements. I have not been able to find dosing instructions for trace a and k based off this relationship.

Thanks for any help.

I’m not sure your premise is correct? That there is a relationship between trace elements and alk, you may be correct but I don’t think you can assume there is one.

@Lou Ekus should be able to answer this.

OP
OP
B

Bakki

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure your premise is correct? That there is a relationship between trace elements and alk, you may be correct but I don’t think you can assume there is one.

I understand there is no universal relationship and that the actual relative consumption of individual traces can differ from tank to tank. However, all-for-reef contains all elements and therefore implicitly assumption a relation between calc and trace consumption. I have uaed all for reef and it hasnt given me any issues hence I thought its a good starting point.

ukgeoff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it okay to add all-for-reef plus the A and K Elements daily? Or should I only dose the all-for-reef daily? Does dosing all-for-reef negate the use of A and K Elements? From what I'm reading here, all-for-reef contains all the trace elements of A and K Elements so there's not much point in adding the A and K to my tank. Thanks.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on whether AFR is meeting the need. A fixed product tries to meet the demands of all tanks, and cannot. In a tank with very low alk demand, it is adding hardly any trace elements, and may not be enough. In a tank with very high alk demand, it is adding a lot and may be too much. I don’t know what balance they struck, but it cannot be perfect for all tanks.

ukgeoff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've just checked the ingredients on Tropic Marin's website, which confirms all-for-reef has the same ingredients that A- and K+ elements have:-

All-for-reef:-
organic calcium salts, salts of magnesium, strontium and trace elements (barium, boron, bromine, chrome, iron, fluorine, iodine, cobalt, copper, lithium, manganese, molybdenum, nickel, selenium, strontium, vanadium and zinc).

A- Elements:- bromine, fluorine, iodine, lithium, molybdenum, selenium and vanadium in pure mineral form.

K+Elements:- barium, boron, chrome, iron, cobalt, copper, manganese, nickel strontium and zinc in pure mineral form.

I mistakenly thought the A and K added different trace elements to those in all-for-reef, but that's not true. I wish I'd checked this before buying the bottles of A and K as they cost much more than all-for-reef, and I probably won't use them. I'll stop adding the A and K to my tank as it's happy with just all-for-reef and my bi-weekly water changes.

...Every day is a school day :) .

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've just checked the ingredients on Tropic Marin's website, which confirms all-for-reef has the same ingredients that A- and K+ elements have:-

All-for-reef:- organic calcium salts, salts of magnesium, strontium and trace elements (barium, boron, bromine, chrome, iron, fluorine, iodine, cobalt, copper, lithium, manganese, molybdenum, nickel, selenium, strontium, vanadium and zinc).

A- Elements:- bromine, fluorine, iodine, lithium, molybdenum, selenium and vanadium in pure mineral form.

K+Elements:- barium, boron, chrome, iron, cobalt, copper, manganese, nickel strontium and zinc in pure mineral form.

I mistakenly thought the A and K added different trace elements to those in all-for-reef, but that's not true. I wish I'd checked this before buying the bottles of A and K as they cost much more than all-for-reef, and I probably won't use them. I'll stop adding the A and K to my tank as it's happy with just all-for-reef and my bi-weekly water changes.

...Every day is a school day :) .

Still doesn’t mean there are not times when adding both is needed.

ukgeoff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fortunately, my tank gets by just dosing the all-for-reef.

On the bright side, if my tank demand increases in the future, I've now got some A and K to hand lol. I wish I had known this information before wasting my money getting the bottles of A and K - it's expensive stuff. I genuinely thought I'd be improving my tank environment and didn't realise I was simply doubling my all-for reef trace elements. I'm glad I asked and appreciate your feedback, thanks.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fortunately, my tank gets by just dosing the all-for-reef.

On the bright side, if my tank demand increases in the future, I've now got some A and K to hand lol. I wish I had known this information before wasting my money getting the bottles of A and K - it's expensive stuff. I genuinely thought I'd be improving my tank environment and didn't realise I was simply doubling my all-for reef trace elements. I'm glad I asked and appreciate your feedback, thanks.
When you run out of AFR you could use the A and K with Randy's two part recipes.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What password are they asking for though?

I have no idea. I’m not involved in any of it except to initially give some chemical advice.

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it is like Randy stated, it are the same trace elements in concentrations which are the result of calculation and experimentation to supply the essential trace elements in proportion to calcium and alkalinity.

I think other trace elements than included in K+ and A- Elements and All-For-Reef are not needed. They contain the trace elements necessary for biological processes.

OP
OP
B

Bakki

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it is like Randy stated, it are the same trace elements in concentrations which are the result of calculation and experimentation to supply the essential trace elements in proportion to calcium and alkalinity.
Are there any learnings from calculations and experiments that led to all-for-reef that could be shared fordosing trace a and k? The label instructions for trace a and k are quite wide.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 29 36.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 25 31.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 17.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back