Condy and Clownfish

Georges Tawil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there! I recently bought a Condy anemone and I place it inside my almost a year fish tank with 2 clownfish. I didn’t know until a few days ago that this type of anemone eats fish. The anemone has been with the clowns in the tank for about 1-2 weeks so I want to know if a should get rid of this anemone or I can leave it a corner of tank? And which recommendations for more friendly anemone should I get in the future?

IMG_7004.jpeg IMG_7003.jpeg

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its fine. Fish are pretty smart when it comes to staying safe. Well maybe not all fish (Dory)

OP
OP
G

Georges Tawil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its fine. Fish are pretty smart when it comes to staying safe. Well maybe not all fish (Dory)
Oh ok, thanks! I was worried that one day o woke up and one of them be death. I’m still getting another anemone more compatible with the clowns.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi there! I recently bought a Condy anemone and I place it inside my almost a year fish tank with 2 clownfish. I didn’t know until a few days ago that this type of anemone eats fish. The anemone has been with the clowns in the tank for about 1-2 weeks so I want to know if a should get rid of this anemone or I can leave it a corner of tank? And which recommendations for more friendly anemone should I get in the future?

Condylactus are more ornamental and its rare clowns go into them but however domino damsels although nasty will make them home immediatelly

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Is it true that any Damsel has problems with Clownfish?
They are related and while it depends on the individual fish, most damsels can be jerks
Some of the worse are domino, three stripe , blue devil and in some cases the Sargeant major and velvet damsel

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh ok, thanks! I was worried that one day o woke up and one of them be death. I’m still getting another anemone more compatible with the clowns.
When I first started in the hobby I bought a condy because of the price vs others. At least it was labelled as one. I later added a bubble tip (from what I remember it was 20+ yrs ago) when my clown wouldn't host in it. The condy moved across the tank overnight and began warring and killed the new anemone. Also your clowns look like ocellaris so they may not host in bubbletips either FYI.

OP
OP
G

Georges Tawil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first started in the hobby I bought a condy because of the price vs others. At least it was labelled as one. I later added a bubble tip (from what I remember it was 20+ yrs ago) when my clown wouldn't host in it. The condy moved across the tank overnight and began warring and killed the new anemone. Also your clowns look like ocellaris so they may not host in bubbletips either FYI.
Yes, they are Ocellaris. Any suggestions on which anemone will work? And is there anything that I can do to avoid the fight between the anemones?

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, they are Ocellaris. Any suggestions on which anemone will work? And is there anything that I can do to avoid the fight between the anemones?
All clowns have specific species they host in the ocean. Ocellaris naturally host in magnifica and carpets , two of the harder nems to keep. Your best bet is probably to rehome the condy and try a bubbletip and hope you get lucky or get another species of clownfish and rehome those.

OP
OP
G

Georges Tawil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All clowns have specific species they host in the ocean. Ocellaris naturally host in magnifica and carpets , two of the harder nems to keep. Your best bet is probably to rehome the condy and try a bubbletip and hope you get lucky or get another species of clownfish and rehome those.
Awesome, thanks!

Peair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I really love to see the relationship between the Condy and Clownfish.

TinyReefObsession

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there! I recently bought a Condy anemone and I place it inside my almost a year fish tank with 2 clownfish.
Oh my gosh that’s what my condy must have looked like as a baby!!! Haha i never could believe it was ever that small! Mine is a beast now (10 ish? yrs old) and hosting two clowns. Apparently my orange clown had previous anemone experience, so when the owner at the time added the tiny baby condy, it immediately took to it, and the mate clown followed suit when he joined. The condy does occasionally try to eat a snail or hermit crab (the crabs give him a poke and he backs off lol), but my fish sleep in the condy at night and hide under it when i’ve got my hands in the tank (sans food lol). My situation isn’t the norm though. Watching to see how this goes. Good luck!

BTW normally the tips & mouth are green- but she was eating so her mouth puffs up and changes pink, purple, blue, and back to green! :) i love my condy!! Has the same orange foot as yours under there

Attachments

• IMG_3279.jpeg
    IMG_3279.jpeg
    234.6 KB · Views: 11

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 109 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.4%
Back