OP
S

SocalS14

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It means that calcium and alkalinity are most used to deposit calcium carbonate. In that context, if alk is being used, then most likely, so is calcium. The relative rate is about 18-20 ppm calcium for each 2.8 dKH of alk consumed.

My recommendation is to replace alk as needed and use a method that adds that appropriate amount of calcium. A number of different methods add them together that way:

Thanks! I am going to use anhydrous calcium chloride. Online, I found that 1 dKH is equivalent to 18ppm. Based on your response, that would be 50.4 ppm alk to ~19 ppm calcium. From there I worked out that for 0.2 dKH per day, I would need to add 1.43 ppm of calcium per day. Pretty small amount, but doable.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Online, I found that 1 dKH is equivalent to 18ppm. Based on your response, that would be 50.4 ppm alk to ~19 ppm calcium. From there I worked out that for 0.2 dKH per day, I would need to add 1.43 ppm of calcium per day. Pretty small amount, but doable.

I'd make a DIY two part with the calcium chloride and then stick to the balanced amount of calcium dosing:

An Improved Do-it-Yourself Two-Part Calcium and Alkalinity Supplement System by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

OP
OP
S

SocalS14

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK - can you tell me 0.3 mL/gallon means? Milliliters per gallon? Was that supposed to mean per day, since the title says "daily doses"?

You are asking about Table 1? The numbers are far higher than your demand.

My suggestion is if you know how much alk you want to deliver each day (say, 0.2 dKH), use this calculator instead with entries for Randy's Recipe 1 or 2, depending on what you make and use:

OP
OP
S

SocalS14

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are asking about Table 1? The numbers are far higher than your demand.

My suggestion is if you know how much alk you want to deliver each day (say, 0.2 dKH), use this calculator instead with entries for Randy's Recipe 1 or 2, depending on what you make and use:

Yes - exactly. That was the reason I noted the ratio you had provided before in order to spec the calcium appropriately.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, Randy - on the calculator at

What does balanced Calcium mean under Alkalinity?

Ignore that. It is not to be taken as a guide to a desirable level.

It means something very technical; if you start with natural seawater ( ~7 dKH and 420 ppm calcium) and add or substract the amount of alk and calcium in calcium carbonate (2.8 dKH and 20 ppm calcium) needed to get to the new alk, how much calcium would that be.

OP
OP
S

SocalS14

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK - so using Recipe #2, I am dosing ~43mL for a 0.2dKH Alk dose and 1.43 ppm Ca dose per day. I will test regularly to keep tabs.

I spread the dose over 16 hrs period with four ~11mL doses.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK - so using Recipe #2, I am dosing ~43mL for a 0.2dKH Alk dose and 1.43 ppm Ca dose per day. I will test regularly to keep tabs.

I spread the dose over 16 hrs period with four ~11mL doses.

Sounds good. Keep us updated!

OP
OP
S

SocalS14

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE!

Just did a round of testing after a good week of dosing with Randy's Recipe #2. No drop in Alk/Ca at my current dosing amount.

I assume, as I continue down this path, I will be monitoring and slowly inching up the amount to dose as coral needs increase.

Growth in the tank looks consistent - except for a bit of necrosis on my lone acro - I would say all is good. That lone acro was really a test to see if I can keep them. Only one stalk was affected so far - the other stalks seem unaffected.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 113 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back