confusion on Ozone vs UV?

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking forward to trying out ozone on a new FOWLR i'll be setting up.

then I got thinking about my other project a 65 gal seahorse tank. I was/am going to run a 25W UV for the help with bacterial infections. did some googling and a few sources say that ozone also helps kill water born bac.

UV are so big and bulky with all the plumbing thay tank up a huge amount of real estate in the stand so if ozone can do the same for me i am liking the idea.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really doubt a UV will do anything to prevent bacterial infections. A skimmer will help remove excess bacteria from the water column if you are worried about that. As for the ozone ability to kill bacteria over uv, I wonder if @taricha knows

vettiflow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both in my system and would suggest starting with UV first. Its a good tool for parasite management if sized correctly and can help with bacterial blooms. While it can zap bacteria I’d say Ozone is better suited for breaking down organics, toxins and give you unmatched water clarity. I am with you on the size/plumbing hassle of UV. But it is also very low risk.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ozone is used is water treatment applications to kill bacteria. The amount of ozone required for that would not be achievable with the products marketed towards reef hobbyist. It would also be detrimental to all bacteria in your system; ozone does not pick and choose. While UV can only effect what passes by it, o³ is in the water and will effect everything the water touches.
I uses both uv and ozone, each for their intended purposes.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both in my system and would suggest starting with UV first. Its a good tool for parasite management if sized correctly and can help with bacterial blooms. While it can zap bacteria I’d say Ozone is better suited for breaking down organics, toxins and give you unmatched water clarity. I am with you on the size/plumbing hassle of UV. But it is also very low risk.
yeah UV does have lower risk than O3 for sure. not that o3 unmanageable UV is a bit easier to get into than ozone.

Ozone is used is water treatment applications to kill bacteria. The amount of ozone required for that would not be achievable with the products marketed towards reef hobbyist. It would also be detrimental to all bacteria in your system; ozone does not pick and choose. While UV can only effect what passes by it, o³ is in the water and will effect everything the water touches.
I uses both uv and ozone, each for their intended purposes.
yes that was what's the confusion I have is, I dont fully understand the purpose of ozone yet. its alot smaller that those dang UV in the hobby. ha so what would you say is the purpose of O3 in a marine tank?

Ozone over UV by far. For me at least. The water clarity is unbeatable.
while clear water is something I am after, I feel i need to keep the seahorses safe is my #1 reason for thinking UV or ozone.
alot of Sh keepers run UV, none I know of run ozone. they say UV helps with bac. infections i dont know if that is 100% true or not just what ppl say.
so I was wondering if ozone would do the same by breaking down organics would that reduce the risk of infection? IDK

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
while clear water is something I am after, I feel i need to keep the seahorses safe is my #1 reason for thinking UV or ozone.
I completely glossed over the seahorse part.

I don‘t have any knowledge on seahorses. Ignore my post. :)

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As folks have noted, I too would not use ozone if the goal is bacterial infection prevention. It’s main benefit is reduced yellowing of the water.
thanks Randy i did try to read your 3 part searies on Ozone alot when over my head.
I think i'll stick to UV on the SH tank and use the ozone on my FOWLR set up.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 64 31.4%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 54 26.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 42 20.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 42 20.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back