Connecting frag to display with two pumps pumping back and forth

Aere

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two pumps. Back and forth. With two float switches on each end for redundancy to shut off if water level gets too high. Is this a bad idea?

I have a 300g display tank. And in another room I have a frag tank. I ran pex piping between the two. Can click my build thread badge next to my name to get a better idea with pictures.

I have two vectra L2 pumps.

I want opinions here. I would really like to plumb these together. My LFS thinks I'm nuts. But a couple people I ran it by seems to think it'll be fine. And I test ran it with brutes and it definitely works. I figure if I keep an eye on it it should be fine. But not sure. Anyone ever successfully do this? Without draining tank on the floor.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you do a Gravity Flow from your DT to the Frag. Tank, then Gravity feed that to your Sump? For extra flow in your Frag. Tank use some “Wave” Pumps.

OP
OP
Aere

Aere

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you do a Gravity Flow from your DT to the Frag. Tank, then Gravity feed that to your Sump? For extra flow in your Frag. Tank use some “Wave” Pumps.

I can't. It goes up through the ceiling. The pex is buried in the wall and ceiling, into the other room. About 7 feet up, 15 feet across and then down. Both runs the same. Back and forth. I was going to throw a pump in each systems sump and pump back and forth. That's my thought process.

OP
OP
Aere

Aere

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figured I would add pics.

Can see the frag tank, and in the back the red and blue pex. Then me standing in doorway to the fish/utility room showing distance. Then my sump in display tank with the pex coming out between the co2 scrubber and trident.

20200929_110235.jpg 20200929_110221.jpg 20200929_110217.jpg

DaneGer21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually I would say no to this idea. But, if it is your only method then make sure you implement your float switches(multiple ones) for fail safes.

At my last home I wasn’t able to tie them together either, I ended up just having two separate systems.

OP
OP
Aere

Aere

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually I would say no to this idea. But, if it is your only method then make sure you implement your float switches(multiple ones) for fail safes.

At my last home I wasn’t able to tie them together either, I ended up just having two separate systems.

It's definitely not my only method. I could definitely have two separate systems. I would prefer it to all be one body of water for many beneficial reasons. But I just want to make sure I'm not over looking anything. I plan on having two optical float switches on each side for redundancy. It will all be controlled via apex, breakout box, and their optical float switches. I already have all the necessary equipment to make it happen. Honestly I'm looking for someone to talk me out of this or I'm going forward with it. I guess worse case scenario if it doesn't work I just have two separate systems.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 22.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 34.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 63 31.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back