Constant Airstone

coralboi56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pH has been sitting at 7.8 with a rare dip to 7.6 I added an air stone to see what would happen, and my pH has gone as high as 8.2

My question is: if the tank settles out at 8.2, are there any detriments to keeping the air stone on 24/7? I haven't heard of any other reefers doing this and haven't seen any tanks run an air stone on theirs.

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pH has been sitting at 7.8 with a rare dip to 7.6 I added an air stone to see what would happen, and my pH has gone as high as 8.2

My question is: if the tank settles out at 8.2, are there any detriments to keeping the air stone on 24/7? I haven't heard of any other reefers doing this and haven't seen any tanks run an air stone on theirs.
Airstones and salt water don’t mix from what I’ve read (somewhere can’t remember where)

Where is the airstone? The other thing to remember is that as the air bubbles move to the top and pop they create spray which means salt spray

How much turbulence do you have on the top?

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a big pH jump. Are you running skimmerless?

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also FWIW I ran a 2g nano jar for over two years, only circulation was an airstone. I had frogspawn, Duncan, star polyps, mushrooms, mini carpet anemones, and birds nest (seriatopora) that all grew and did fine until the light broke and I took the tank down.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other thing to remember is that as the air bubbles move to the top and pop they create spray which means salt spray
I think salt spray (as mentioned) and the fact that most don't find a stream of air bubbles visually appealing are the most likely reasons why air stones aren't popular.

Beyond that, I don't personally feel there's any problem.

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s the increased water movement that creates the change needed for an increased PH. Increased water movement = better gas exchange. This is why I asked how turbulent the top of your water is? I have my return angled up to increase gas exchange as well as my cross flow. The top of my water is not calm, which in turn allows for better gas exchange. Also sometimes opening a window ear the tank can help bring fresh air in allowing for better PH.

Again depending on where the air stone is you should consider salt spray from the bubble breaking the surface.

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think salt spray (as mentioned) and the fact that most don't find a stream of air bubbles visually appealing are the most likely reasons why air stones aren't popular.

I put one in my sump for a short time while dosing something to the tank ….can’t remember what it was….then I didn’t have to see the bubbles

OP
OP
coralboi56

coralboi56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Airstones and salt water don’t mix from what I’ve read (somewhere can’t remember where)

Where is the airstone? The other thing to remember is that as the air bubbles move to the top and pop they create spray which means salt spray

How much turbulence do you have on the top?
Airstone is in the AIO chamber. Turbulence is plenty considering I run a Nero 3 on a 7.4g tank

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Agreed. :)

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know we’re not supposed to number Chase, but pH is the one parameter I do chase. That and I guess if you count salinity

It’s just one of those things I don’t check. I tend to crack a window even during the winter. And as I said before the top of my water is rather turbulent which leads to better gas exchange and therefore helps keep PH up.
IMG_7360.jpeg

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do airstones actual add oxygen to the water with their bubbles or via increased surface water movement? It would seem skimmers would easily saturate tanks with oxygen if bubbles themselves add O2.

Both methods help equilibrate O2 and CO2. Bubbles do it both at the bubble surfaces and at the mixed tank top. But CO2 equilibration is rarely attained, and O2 is also often not fully saturated, especially at night.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 35.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 38.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.6%
Back