Control CaRx with Apex?

Rovert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can one of you gurus help me control my calcium reactor with my Apex?

I have a 'vintage' Korallin 1502 with an Eheim pump and my CO2 tank has a DC solenoid and check valve. At this time, the reactor is fed with water from my tank return, but I will be adding a small feeder pump to help with the automation. My hope was that I would use the Apex to turn the feed pump, CO2 solenoid and reactor chamber pump on and off as needed based on readings from my Trident.

I'd like to turn the reactor on when the Alk reaches 9 (?) and off when it gets to 11, short of any recommendations from you guys. That means I need to trigger the solenoid based on the readings from the Trident in advance of my target range, and allow the feeder pump and reactor chamber pump to continue runnning for 'x' amount of time to process any CO2 still in the line and expanding, and then turn off so I don't have any excess trapped gas. This way, the tank can 'coast' up to 11 as the effluent continues to flow into the water column.

Looking for some feedback on this idea, and specifically, help with programming this all in.

Thanks!

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cant help with the apex but a carx should run 24/7 and not be turned on off like you mentioned.
Not sure why you want a 9 on 11 off as a carx will keep it at say 9 for maximum stability.
I will follow as im interested in respones from fellow reefers.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Rovert

Rovert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cant help with the apex but a carx should run 24/7 and not be turned on off like you mentioned.
Not sure why you want a 9 on 11 off as a carx will keep it at say 9 for maximum stability.
I will follow as im interested in respones from fellow reefers.
Hmmm... that conflicts with my understanding that Alk/Ca/Mg consumption will vary based on time of day and also bioload as corals grow or more animals are populated into the tank. But that's why I ask the question of you experts.

Upvote 0

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm... that conflicts with my understanding that Alk/Ca/Mg consumption will vary based on time of day and also bioload as corals grow or more animals are populated into the tank. But that's why I ask the question of you experts.
Yea you want it run 24/7. You also want to keep alk at a stable number. A properly run carx leads to overall stabilty of your system. As demand increases you just adjust co2 and the effluent to achieve desired alk level.
If you want any offline help pm me.

Upvote 0

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't want a wide for your reactor control. You want the reactor to slightly adjust pH based on alk and turn off only if alk gets way too high, but masically run completely manual.

This is the basic procedure, but varies on your specific reactor.

1. Figure out the ideal pH for the type of media you use. That is usually 0.3 higher than what will make it melt to mush. For ARM, this is 6.4 to 6.5. Set your solenoid with code like this.

Fallback OFF
If pH2 > 6.51 Then ON
If pH2 < 6.49 Then OFF
If pH2 > 9.0 Then OFF

2. Run the reactor manually to figure out what your effluent rate and bubble count needs to be to maintain alk at a stable 9.

3. The create 3 VOs

AlkLow
If pH > 6.41 Then ON
If pH < 6.39 Then OFF
If ALK > 8.5 Then OFF

AlkNrml
If pH > 6.51 Then ON
If pH < 6.49 Then OFF
If ALK > 9.0 Then OFF
If ALK < 8.51 Then OFF

AlkHigh
If pH > 6.51 Then ON
If pH < 6.49 Then OFF
If ALK > 9.5 Then OFF
If ALK < 9.01 Then OFF

Change your solenoid code to

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Output AlkLow = ON Then ON
If Output AlkNrml = ON Then ON
If Output AlkHigh = ON Then ON
If ALK > 10.0 Then OFF
If pH2 > 9 Then OFF

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Rovert

Rovert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't want a wide for your reactor control. You want the reactor to slightly adjust pH based on alk and turn off only if alk gets way too high, but masically run completely manual.

This is the basic procedure, but varies on your specific reactor.

1. Figure out the ideal pH for the type of media you use. That is usually 0.3 higher than what will make it melt to mush. For ARM, this is 6.4 to 6.5. Set your solenoid with code like this.

Fallback OFF
If pH2 > 6.51 Then ON
If pH2 < 6.49 Then OFF
If pH2 > 9.0 Then OFF

2. Run the reactor manually to figure out what your effluent rate and bubble count needs to be to maintain alk at a stable 9.

3. The create 3 VOs

AlkLow
If pH > 6.41 Then ON
If pH < 6.39 Then OFF
If ALK > 8.5 Then OFF

AlkNrml
If pH > 6.51 Then ON
If pH < 6.49 Then OFF
If ALK > 9.0 Then OFF
If ALK < 8.51 Then OFF

AlkHigh
If pH > 6.51 Then ON
If pH < 6.49 Then OFF
If ALK > 9.5 Then OFF
If ALK < 9.01 Then OFF

Change your solenoid code to

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Output AlkLow = ON Then ON
If Output AlkNrml = ON Then ON
If Output AlkHigh = ON Then ON
If ALK > 10.0 Then OFF
If pH2 > 9 Then OFF
BOOM. Thanks!

Upvote 0

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 93 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back