Controllable deep sand beds - a discussion thread

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In order to avoid confuse I must stress that I will only dose DOC into an apartment I want to be free of oxygen - not in the water column. I have stopp that.

However - my statement that detritus is not a problem is based on a normal loaded home aquaria. In heavy loaded fish farms system - it is necessary to remove detritus in the form of sludge now and then if the anaerobic filtration system should be of normal size.

Sincerely Lasse

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

After hijacking a couple of other thread it's time to start a thread instead :)

This is a thread for ideas for designing sand beds for nutrient control and other purposes, and ways to control them. Feel free to contribute with your ideas, thoughts and experiences!

So let's go! I'll have switch to my computer to find the sketch I did, so I'll be back with one idea for a controllable deep sand bed.

/ David

@Lasse @Jomama @Subsea @Scrubber_steve

Pump need to be controlled by orp controller. And ball valve, check valve on discharge possibly needed. Unless using dc pump then flow easy to control. Still need check valve, possibly. Forgot, see discharge. When pump activated, water in dsb rises, till it goes thru discharge.

I think we have a eureka moment. Pretty simple.

1532080150850.jpg

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's what I personally hate of electronic design, when a surge happens, eventually effects electronics. Not everyone prepares to prevent them. When a black out/brown out happens, electronics possibly short out. And eventually do short out. Especially in Residential homes.

This was important for me when I design my system. If the system get zero in NO3 or got without circulation ( electrical grid breakdown) - my reversed DSB will convert to a hydrogen sulphide reactor. Hence placed in a certain apartment - hence refugium on the top, hence a large flow from the DT over it, hence a block of my return pump - at least 5 minutes delay after a power breakdown. This means that the skimmers has oxygenated the receiving chamber from the refugium before receiving any water that may content hydrogen sulphide.

Sincerely Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not bad for a dumb, Mexican/Jew. Heehee

Why the pump from the sump to the DSB intake ? - the dosing pump is enough to get a flow through the sand bed. Using the principles of corresponding vessels.

Sincerely Lasse

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was important for me when I design my system. If the system get zero in NO3 or got without circulation ( electrical grid breakdown) - my reversed DSB will convert to a hydrogen sulphide reactor. Hence placed in a certain apartment - hence refugium on the top, hence a large flow from the DT over it, hence a block of my return pump - at least 5 minutes delay after a power breakdown. This means that the skimmers has oxygenated the receiving chamber from the refugium before receiving any water that may content hydrogen sulphide.

Sincerely Lasse

If I had that system, I'd be testing every 3 months, make sure no issues. Very well planned.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why the pump from the sump to the DSB intake ? - the dosing pump is enough to get a flow through the sand bed. Using the principles of corresponding vessels.

Sincerely Lasse
The pump would increase water level in only dsb, so pushes out the discharge I drew to the right side

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sincerely Lasse
Now that you mentioned dosing pump, no check valve. Water would flow thru pump so it recirculates

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dosing pump will lower the level in the DSB, hence force the water to fill up from the plenum according to corresponding vessels. If you want more water pass through - rise the amount from the dosing pump or mount another pump working from the top of the DSB to the sump. Corresponding vessels is a powerful tool. The outlet from dosing pump (or other pumps) must be above the level of the sump

Sincerely Lasse

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dosing pump will lower the level in the DSB, hence force the water to fill up from the plenum according to corresponding vessels. If you want more water pass through - rise the amount from the dosing pump or mount another pump working from the top of the DSB to the sump. Corresponding vessels is a powerful tool.

Sincerely Lasse
Yea, top would work too. This is as simple it gets

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pump need to be controlled by orp controller. And ball valve, check valve on discharge possibly needed. Unless using dc pump then flow easy to control. Still need check valve, possibly. Forgot, see discharge. When pump activated, water in dsb rises, till it goes thru discharge.

I think we have a eureka moment. Pretty simple.

1532080150850.jpg
On discharge of dosing pump. I would put a coil of tubing to start 25', increase length,see what orp reads are like. Coil of tubing to speed up anaerobic cycle.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought Sallstrom said this dsb sit in a sump?

Yes and in a way that you - when everything is non function - the water level of the sump and water level of the DSB is in the same height. When the dosing pump (or another pump) take out water from the surface of the DSB - the water level goes down. Because the plenum is open to the sump - the principle of corresponding vessels will try to maintain the water level of the DSB to the same as the sump. It will create a flow through the DSB. David Chose a dosing pump because he want a slow flow. Whatever pump you use - it should be connected to the redox measurements

Sincerely Lasse

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes and in a way that you - when everything is non function - the water level of the sump and water level of the DSB is in the same height. When the dosing pump (or another pump) take out water from the surface of the DSB - the water level goes down. Because the plenum is open to the sump - the principle of corresponding vessels will try to maintain the water level of the DSB to the same as the sump. It will create a flow through the DSB. David Chose a dosing pump because he want a slow flow. Whatever pump you use - it should be connected to the redox measurements

Sincerely Lasse
That I see, and dsb is inside sump. Got it. Maestro

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 151 43.4%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 123 35.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 53 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.4%
Back