Controlling Pests in Large Displays

Do you control pests in your larger systems?

• No - System is too large, I let them do their thing

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

So I just wanted to know what remedies, solutions or prevention us 'big tank' owners utilize to either get rid of, eradicate or prevent pests from entering our systems. Smaller tanks have the luxury of being able to reach in and remove rocks or pests (or dose specific rockwork), but its significantly more difficult, if not impossible, on large systems.

I had 1 Aiptasia, tried to kill it with some kalk paste and vinegar, I guess it didn't work and now I have a bunch of little buggers. I am planning to get 15 or so Berberghia nudibranch to take care of them.

Wondering what everyone else uses in their arsenal and what past experiences had been with pests.

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Directly me it's been the holistic approach. I had aptasia, added a CBB. Berghia weren't an option as I have wrasses. Wrasses are great for things like pest Nudis and the odd bristle worm. As for some of the other pests like Paly Toxica and the kine, I just pull the rock. U had a Bibbit, and that was a nightmare.. had to darn near dissasemble the tank...

OP
OP
CC13

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bobbit or Eunicid worm (stupid spell check)
Bobbits are the thing if nightmares.. they can (and we're) very distructive and eat darn near anything...

Oh ya those... I'm happy to have never had one of those in my systems thank God.

How massive was he went you took him out?

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How massive was he went you took him out?
Never actually did... Had to take the entire tank apart to get to "his" rock. Went after him with peroxide, and fresh water. Never came out of the rock. Also did about a 2 hour freshwater dip on the rock. I THINK I killed it.. been several years, and no issues to date. If he is still in there, he's probably HUGE and I don't want to even think about that possibility...

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get rid of most things naturally. Apitasia try CBB, Nudi's, Peppermint shrimp, Mottled file fish. Bobbit worm, use a harpoon

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 112 43.1%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 124 47.7%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 11 4.2%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 5 1.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 3.1%
Back