Converting max nano into a reefer nano

Tim'sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, for a long time I wanted to have a smaller tank inline with my bigger tank to hold some cool fish and inverts that don't fit my other reef. I want it inline so I only have to deal with one system.

So I took on a little project to cut the baffle out of my red sea max nano since I had that already and I wanted to have another project. I'm going to dril it for a fiji cube external overflow box and a return.

So now my problem, since this tank was set up for a long time I didn't expect the bottom to be 2 pieces. And I didn't check before so it was already too late when I noticed. Here is the tank now.

20240423_212757.jpg

Clearly this won't hold water now. I can think of 2 ways to fix this. But maybe you guys have better suggestions or can help me pick.

1. Put the baffle (that ofcourse fits perfectly in between) flat over it and secure it all with new silicone.

2. Cut the baffle to a low height and place it back vertically. (Maybe some day a mangrove can use that extra substrate)

Or do you have better solutions please let me know.

Yes I know I can buy a tank specific for that but ever since building and maintaining my own bikes, I really get a thril out of DIY learning new stuff and it keeps me busy.

OP
OP
Tim'sReef

Tim'sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After looking at this mess I created, an searching the second hand in my area I'm just going to save myself the sleepless nights thinking about when my fix is going to break and take my other reef with it. I can pick up a e170 for cheap and just live with the internal overflow.

I am however storing this thing and see if I can make something out of it. But when it holds water it will be a standalone thing so no chance of taking down something with it.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 118 81.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back