Converting Vented Drain + Return to Herbie Style Overflow - Thinking Out Loud

Dancingmad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brainstorming! Good Idea, Bad Idea? + Laying out a plan

I have a 150 W/T tank with a corner style overflow. I believe the drain style is called a "Vented" drain - a single standpipe w/ a method of venting air to reduce noise. Right next to the drain is the return line that feeds back into the tank. Pretty standard stuff.

I'd really like to employ a Herbie style drain since I've heard they aren't as loud as a vented system, and they also have an emergency drain. Redundancy is awesome. I also like the idea of doing an external return like I've had before - more room to add awesome things like check valves and manifolds!

Plan -
1. Cut the old return pipe to 1/2" below the overflow wier - this will be the emergency drain
2. Cut the old drain standpipe to 6 inches below the new emergency drain
3. Install a gatevalve on the main drain standpipe for calibration
4. run a new external return line to the tank
5. Turn on / calibrate the system: internal overflow box water level to be just peeking over the emergency drain; full siphon on the main drain

It..it just seems so attainable and could maybe be accomplished in an evening (or two - there would be dry fitting, gluing, and extra extra measuring!!). Am I missing something? I've never setup a herbie overflow system before! Suggestions, comments, and snarky remarks appreciated!

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 109 43.8%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 83 33.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 40 16.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 13 5.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.6%
Back