Convict Tang Owners?

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who has a convict tang? Was thinking about picking one up for a new tank, but seems to be little reliable info on them.

If you have one, are they any harder to keep than regular tangs? (old posts seem to say they adapt poorly to tank life)

A friend told me his was very aggressive, what is your experience?

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve heard they’re sometimes hard to get eating. I made sure mine was eating before I bought him. He was a little guy about two inches. He eats everything and has tripled in size in the 10 months I’ve had him. He bothers nobody and nobody bothers him. He is the most active fish in my 220 reef.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had one for about a year now in my 120.
Most of the time they come in very skinny. Make sure yours is eating at the lfs.
I have a tomini and a foxface.
I also have 6 blue green chromis that the convict keeps inline.
2 clowns, 2 anthias, and a pajama cardinal.
They all get along well.
The convict is a pig and eats out of my hand.
20210301_140724.jpg

OP
OP
polyppal

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve heard they’re sometimes hard to get eating. I made sure mine was eating before I bought him. He was a little guy about two inches. He eats everything and has tripled in size in the 10 months I’ve had him. He bothers nobody and nobody bothers him. He is the most active fish in my 220 reef.
oh nice thanks!

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are harder to keep. It took me about 5 tries to successfuly have one pass qurantine and into my display tank. He's a total PIG! He's so fat you'd be surprised how fat it is. It did harrass my copperband butterfly so bad that it ended up killing it the day before I was going to sell my copperband. I felt so bad. If you do plan to get one, make sure you don't have striped fish like a copperband, or it may attack it.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmn, not my personal experience. Have had six of them, plus the rare Mauritian convict (zebra). Have not had any aggression problems. Zebra came from DD at a good body weight, but all the others were very thin when I bought them. Was able to succeed with four of the six, though all initially in my frag tank where I could feed them continuously. I still have a small one there. One got rehomed to @albano, hope that’s not the one that turned into a jerk LOL.

Last edited by a moderator:

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d get a good look at the ones at your lfs. Look for constant swimming picking at glass and rocks. If one is eating even better. Aggression has so much to do with individual personalities when it comes to most fish. Obviously there are exceptions like Shoal & clown tangs maroon clownfish for instance. But convicts are more often non aggressive that aggressive in my experience. Certainly no more than yellow or purple tangs.

MIKE NY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Model citizen for me in my frag/ acclimation tank. It doesn’t bother any other fish constantly grazing. It took a few days to take frozen and about a week to take small pellets and flake.

132C2F20-8D0A-4B4B-BF0B-B78017C6CBFD.jpeg

JayinToronto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had 5. They all did great together for about year or so. Eventually one decided it was going to take on all the rest. Then there was one. Lasted a few years after that, then my purple tang turned on it and that was the end of my convict tang experience. Cool fish though. Really pretty.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned above observe it eating but also grazing, I got mine a few months back as a one inch baby and bought it before it was eating at the shop as I saw it grazing coral bases and that is what baby tangs want to do so it went in to my little tank for a month or so to fatten up with a choice of 3 or 4 macro algaes and micro algae.
You didn't say what size tank, also as mentioned above they are very active and like to swim.
Mine has four scopas tangs to "play" with and so far plays nice with everyone, growing fast. :)

DSC_0011 (1024x721).jpg

david613

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one very well behaved .Introduced 5 different tangs at once all were very small max ( 1-1/2 in )he is probably the most active of the group unafraid of anything first to come over for food . was also worryed about bullying at first since they get a bad rap but so far so good . could be since they all introduced at once. and was very small and young he's not yet over 2 inch yet so dont know what will be when he gets bigger . But i really enjoy him very lively active personality.

david613

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one very well behaved .Introduced 5 different tangs at once all were very small max ( 1-1/2 in )he is probably the most active of the group unafraid of anything first to come over for food . was also worryed about bullying at first since they get a bad rap but so far so good . could be since they all introduced at once. and was very small and young he's not yet over 2 inch yet so dont know what will be when he gets bigger . But i really enjoy him very lively active personality.
just to add never had a problem feeding will eat anything.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
On my want list. Im looking for a big one

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 27.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 33.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 31.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back